Dropped Voom for Dish Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dropped voom a couple months ago, my main reason was because our local digitals only transmit some of the time, and the digital feed for CBS is only being transmitted @ 1/2 the normal broadcast power. also Voom did not program my locals correctly. I do plan on getting Voom again when our locals are up and running, and sending a high def signal.
I did not have any more problems with the voom hardware then I do with my 811. the locals are a big issue in my house ..excuse me, my wife's house.. but the only reason I will go back to voom is because I want to get the most out of my HDTV not because I hate dish, they have actually been pretty good to me, i'm on my third 811.

boba said:
You are excused with only a EDTV 480P max resolution SD is the best you can see VOOM was more than you could use so DISH will be perfect.
Unh. Are we seeing the same thing? Looks like he's got a nice Philips HDTV - similar to mine but with higher (newer) model code - mine's only a 60PP9352.

You are excused with only a EDTV 480P max resolution SD is the best you can see VOOM
Mine is a 60" widescreen hdtv and I was using a dvi out. What are you talking about boba?

rexoverbey said:
Mine is a 60" widescreen hdtv and I was using a dvi out. What are you talking about boba?
I have a Mitsubishi 65 inch Diamond 1080i HDTV and it doesnt matter if I watch Comcast or Dish SD , I hate it ! I only watch the Comcast HD now and I am going to try Voom tomorow. I wish Dish had a better selection of HD channels and not so much for the HD box ! I get the Comcast for the PC modem so the locals in HD are just a few more $$$. I will give Voom a try and if it is good I will have to dump Dish after 4 years .

rex,

Why don't you wait until you've got Dish to make a comparison? And let other people make their own comparisons?

Plenty of people on the VOOM forum love the service. I like VOOM and I am a former Dish Network subscriber. VOOM service isn't perfect, but it's better than the alternatives I've tried. We found out tonight that they're adding TNT-HD tomorrow.

The channel I miss most on VOOM is SciFi, but so long as VOOM adds it in time for the new seasons of Stargate:SG1 and Stargate:Atlantis on July 16, I won't mind. I don't feel I am giving up anything right now in exchange for all the extra HD. Like John, I don't like the quality of the SD channels on any of the providers, and want as much HD programming as I can get. There's nothing to lose with the $0 UPFRONT deal; no equipment to buy, no commitment, and no cancellation fees.

As always, viewing preferences differ. If you spend three hours a day watching the Home & Garden TV network, then VOOM is obviously not for you.

By the way rex,
yesterday you said on the Voom forum that Dish is getting TNTHD "much earlier" than Voom. It doesn't seem so. It is coming to Voom tomorrow at 9am...

andrzej said:
By the way rex,
yesterday you said on the Voom forum that Dish is getting TNTHD "much earlier" than Voom. It doesn't seem so. It is coming to Voom tomorrow at 9am...

Rex is a whiny old lady that is short on Vagisil.

He probably gives reach-arounds though!

By the way rex,
Who cares Dish is going to buy Voom out anyways. They are leasing most of the premium channels off of dish now that's probably how they got tnt-hd.

There's nothing to lose with the $0 UPFRONT deal; no equipment to buy, no commitment, and no cancellation fees.
That's all gone at the end of the month.
Though dish will still have the $0 upfront.
As always, viewing preferences differ. If you spend three hours a day watching the Home & Garden TV network, then VOOM is obviously not for you.
I'm not much for the Home and garden channel, but if you want to watch looping hd channels three hours a day, then Voom is obvisously for you.

rexoverbey said:
That's all gone at the end of the month.
Though dish will still have the $0 upfront.

I'm not much for the Home and garden channel, but if you want to watch looping hd channels three hours a day, then Voom is obvisously for you.

I got a mailer from Voom this week. It would appear the "Free Installation" part is what is limited till the end of this month. $199 afterwards.

All current, non-premium HDTV channels, aside from ESPN-HD and TNT-HD, run much of the same material over and over. Discovery HD runs a loop, Hdnet Movies repeats its movies regularly, and Hdnet repeats less regularly. Even the premiums repeat the same movies a number of times over the course of a month, although to a lesser extent then these other channels.

Who cares Dish is going to buy Voom out anyways. They are leasing most of the premium channels off of dish now that's probably how they got tnt-hd.
Voom is not leasing any capacity from Dish Network. They have their own satellite and their "own" licenses. Two transponders at 61.5 aren't assigned to anyone, and the FCC has given VOOM temporary authority for VOOM to use those.

I'm sure VOOM wishes Echostar would lease it some additional capacity at 61.5, so they wouldn't have to spend all this money moving to the larger dish and MPEG-4/WM9 in order to double and triple their HD channels.

Maybe Voom will get its act together, but as for now it doesn't. I'll check back in six months to see if they have dvr, all the sd channels that are missing, better stb, better payment options, PPV, and make sure that Voom has enough subscribers to sustain themselves. I am basically waiting for HD dvd anyways so Voom is an afterthought. I'll get enough hd with dish to get me by without the headaches of Voom.

Based on other info from other threads, the total sub base of Voom (around 8000), the amount of $$ (billions) they need to operate, I can't see Voom making it till the end of 2005, and that's if their lucky..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)