Dropping PlatHD for premium channel

hendrix04

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
As the topic says, PlatHD is a joke so i decided to drop it and pick up a premium channel (also about to pick up cin for a penny). Which one has the best HD value?

Apparently, you are not a purist

Hbo and the other popular premiums do not care about aspect ratio. Pan & Scan is the mantra. I would rather pay extra to see programming the it was originally conceived.

If you don't have it already ... you might want to take the $10 and get a NetFlix/Blockbuster subscription and get Blu-Ray content ... assuming you have a blu-ray player ... just an idea.

Yeah the platinum hd pack is a joke with dish. I believe Direct has the same channel group but only charge an aditiona $5 a month for it.

Yeah the platinum hd pack is a joke with dish. I believe Direct has the same channel group but only charge an aditiona $5 a month for it.

I agree, I actually dropped mine this week as well. The channels in the Platinum HD pack isn't worth $10. Me, myself, I have never seen anything on MGM HD worth watching and the sports isn't my flavor, now if MLBHD was in the PlatHD I would add it back on. There just isn't any reason for it to be $10.

I just got the free preview for the platinum pack, and I am actually enjoying it a lot. I like the early release movies on HDNET and I love the NBA, so you can guess what other channel I like. Overall, it is definitely not worth $10, but if the price were cut in half, or the programming were doubled (with some quality stuff), I would probably keep it after the three months are up.

I honestly do not think I have ever actually watched any of the platinum HD channels.

Dropped them from my service and it was the best thing I ever did!

As far as Premimum channels, its either HBO or Starz. As Showtime only has 1 HD channel and Cinemax is a penny with Autopay.

I think Starz is the best Value, but with HBO you get the impression that they have better movies!

Having all four premiums, my thoughts are that FOR MOVIES Starz is probably my favorite. I think that Cinemax eventually airs movies that first aired on HBO (and vice-versa).

For some reason I just happen to like movies that Starz airs (although I find stuff on all four), but I am a very big fan of HBO and Showtime original programming (like Big Love and Dexter), so I'm not sure that if I could have just one premium that I'd pick Starz for that reason.

I was wondering what the Platnum HD includes. I have Plat and Silver, so I know I need to drop something. What comes with PlatHD?

If you don't have it already ... you might want to take the $10 and get a NetFlix/Blockbuster subscription and get Blu-Ray content ... assuming you have a blu-ray player ... just an idea.
That's the BEST way to "turn" that $10 into something useful. If I didn't enjoy Platinum HD as much as I do, that's what I'd do with the money. Otherwise, I think Starz is the best value of movie content-per-dollar.
Overall, it is definitely not worth $10, but if the price were cut in half, or the programming were doubled (with some quality stuff), I would probably keep it after the three months are up.
Back when 15 channels of Voom were in that package, it was totally worth it. I watch a lot of HDNet Movies, and I like Universal HD, but MGM is kind of lame. DirecTV customers pay $5 for exactly the same channel lineup that we have.
I was wondering what the Platnum HD includes. I have Plat and Silver, so I know I need to drop something. What comes with PlatHD?
Little box on the left edge of the window: DISH Network - 1.888.825.2557

Hbo and the other popular premiums do not care about aspect ratio.

Actually, Showtime shows a ton of stuff in OAR. Unfortunately, only one HD channel and the most limited movie selection means it's still the worst value.

OAR is nice, but it means nothing if there's nothing worth watching.

I honestly do not think I have ever actually watched any of the platinum HD channels.

HDNet Movies is a fantastic channel if you're a movie lover, and MGM is occasionally interesting, but they're simply not worth $10. Likewise, I'm sure that Hockey lovers appreciate NHL Network, fisherman appreciate WFN, ect. But I can't imagine that anyone of them consider those channels worth $10 either.

The package is simply underprogrammed, overpriced, and unfocused. It's aimed at too many audiences without including enough to satisfy any of them. I think if it was $5, it would be a no-brainer for a lot of us.

HBO or Starz. Cinemax really sucks and if it want's for the penny promotion, I don't think anybody would subscribe to it. Showtime, well only one HD channel and the movies aren't that great either.

yeah, i already have a netflix subscription with bluray (and my bluray player has netflix streaming) so that is covered. Right now i am taking dish up on their HBO and Starz free for 3 months, guess i will figure out which i like more.

I just recently dropped my premium and Platinum channels. It was getting to the point where there really wasn't much to watch on the premiums and the only reason for the $10 for Platinumwas for the NBA channel. I am saving close to $40 a month now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)