DSL equipment?

WalksInDarkness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Kekistan
Hi All,

I have a DSL line for my PC, and I want to setup my PS3 online for firmware updates. So I have a few questions:

(1) My PS3 is in a different room, can I get another DSL "modem" thing and just plug into the other phone jack?

(2) If #1 is yes, can I plug multiple components into the same DSL "modem" (using some sort of basic splitter)?

(3) If #1 or #2 is no, do I need some sort of "hub" or "router" thing?

(4) Would it make more sense to go with some sort of "wireless" system, and would that work in a house with 3 floors?

ANY advice is greatly appreciated. TIA!

If you have a 60GB PS/3, it has a wireless ethernet adapter built into it so I'd recommend getting a wireless router, then you can configure both up for a wireless connection and you're set to go.

You can't just go get another DSL modem put it on the same line and have two connections.

You could move the DSL modem to where your PS/3 is if you have a phone line there that is the same line that your current DSL is on and then do the upgrade, the put it all back when you're done.

If your DSL modem also can act as a router then yes you could just hardwire the PS/3 into that but if it has only one ethernet jack on it then no you can't do that. Same goes for just getting a hub and connecting it that way since the DSL modem probably will supply only 1 IP address, you'll need to get a DSL/Cable router for doing that.

As for using a wireless work in a 3 floor house, it depends. I had a 3 story, router in the basemend and then two floors, signal wouldreach to 2nd floor other side of the house. But then again I had a friend that had an older house that had actual plasted/lap walls vs. drywall and she could go only a couple of rooms (dont know if they use a lot of wire mesh for the plaster but she had no range at all.

If you have a 60GB PS/3, it has a wireless ethernet adapter built into it so I'd recommend getting a wireless router, then you can configure both up for a wireless connection and you're set to go.

You can't just go get another DSL modem put it on the same line and have two connections.

You could move the DSL modem to where your PS/3 is if you have a phone line there that is the same line that your current DSL is on and then do the upgrade, the put it all back when you're done.

If your DSL modem also can act as a router then yes you could just hardwire the PS/3 into that but if it has only one ethernet jack on it then no you can't do that. Same goes for just getting a hub and connecting it that way since the DSL modem probably will supply only 1 IP address, you'll need to get a DSL/Cable router for doing that.

As for using a wireless work in a 3 floor house, it depends. I had a 3 story, router in the basemend and then two floors, signal wouldreach to 2nd floor other side of the house. But then again I had a friend that had an older house that had actual plasted/lap walls vs. drywall and she could go only a couple of rooms (dont know if they use a lot of wire mesh for the plaster but she had no range at all.

OK, thanks Rad. My PC is on the "Ground" floor, so if I put a wireless system maybe I can reach the basement and the 2nd floor. Since the PS3 is the 60GB model, I will see what wireless equipment is available. Thanks again!

I have a wireless router (Dlink DIR-655) and use the hardwire ports for my office PCs and the wireless for the PS3 and laptop. It is downstairs, the PS3 is upstairs.

Can I use a wireless router as a "remote router"? My HT is in a different room and floor than my PC, I want my DSL modem to be in my office (since it is on the "middle" floor). It seems all of the new cutting edge A/V components have ethernet capability; but I don't want to pay ~$50/ea for those USB "stick" type things especially when I can get the wireless router on sale for $60. So what I am asking is, can a second wireless router be used to connect all of my A/V components to communicate with the main wireless router which is hooked up to the DSL in my office? (I hope this makes sense).
Oh, BTW, my base router is a "Netgear Super G"

My experiences with Netgear haven't been good ones... I used to have their Network in a Box, but got so frustrated with dll hell that I finally just got lynsys cards and all is well now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts