AT&T Follows Verizon, Raises DSL Rates 6 Mbps DSL for $51 = 'Best Possible Internet Experience'

Makes me even gladder (is that really a word?) that I made the switch to Charter.I just don't see how AT&T can justify those prices on that crappy speed,plus the worst customer service in the country.

AT&T wants everyone off DSL so they can get rid of the lines. They probably would have sold them off after VZ did, but now no one would want to buy them after seeing the companies that bought VZ's nearly went under.

It does cost $$$ to maintain the infrastructure. To the premises cabling plants are very expensive to maintain. I would bet the cost to maintain the aging wiring isn't going down either. Not having seen any of the data on their costs to run their service can you (or the author) argue unequivocally that the costs are not rising to deliver the service due to said cabling plants?

I'm not taking sides, but know the facts before you condemn.

AT&T wants everyone off DSL so they can get rid of the lines. They probably would have sold them off after VZ did, but now no one would want to buy them after seeing the companies that bought VZ's nearly went under.

Okay, so you're saying it's costly to operate, yet raising prices is bad? Sorry, I don't follow your logic.

Okay, so you're saying it's costly to operate, yet raising prices is bad? Sorry, I don't follow your logic.

They will continue to raise prices to try to encourage everyone off the lines. They are working in every state that they do business in trying to get regulations changed so that they no longer have to provide wired service.

They have taken in many billions in funds from taxes on lines to provide rural service over the years. They have taken enough in to have run fiber out to everyone, but instead just took it in as profit and never upgraded the system. I know it was the government that let them do it (with their lobbying of course, a vicious cycle). Now that the subsidies are being reduced they want to exit and let the system collapse with no liability for not updating the system they were paid to update.

They will continue to raise prices to try to encourage everyone off the lines. They are working in every state that they do business in trying to get regulations changed so that they no longer have to provide wired service.

They have taken in many billions in funds from taxes on lines to provide rural service over the years. They have taken enough in to have run fiber out to everyone, but instead just took it in as profit and never upgraded the system. I know it was the government that let them do it (with their lobbying of course, a vicious cycle). Now that the subsidies are being reduced they want to exit and let the system collapse with no liability for not updating the system they were paid to update.

Well they or another company,had best get to putting up some towers for lte and other wireless communications.In this area landlines are a necessity.AT&T had the opportunity to get in on the rural broadband initiative,they refused.

ATT costing more for DSL isn't the biggest problem, in the past I could tell Charter I need a discount because DSL is so much less and I am willing to take a slower speed. Now they are not much different than faster internet service.

ATT costing more for DSL isn't the biggest problem, in the past I could tell Charter I need a discount because DSL is so much less and I am willing to take a slower speed. Now they are not much different than faster internet service.

I still have introductory price with Charter,$39.99 per month,the kicker,3 x the speed plus 40 some clear qam channels.ATT can't compete with that.

I would imagine some form of wireless is cheaper to operate. As energy prices and market conditions worsen, we will see companies squirming to survive.

The logic is that they aren't pushing this to reduce expenses and keep prices reasonable. They're doing this to reduce expenses and charge an arm and a leg for wireless data. I have no idea what the current DSL rate is, but I'm sure it's far far less than what they will charge per gig for future wireless customers.

Everything else aside, this is an attempt to fleece people out of more of their hard earned money. The fact that they are trying to claim that it is for the public's own good is outrageous and unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have AT&T DSL and a landline. AT&T doesn't offer U-verse in my neighborhood, so what alternative are they suppose to sell me? If they would run fiber to my house, or even close, I would consider switching off of these "aged copper lines", but no one is offering a wireless broadband solution that makes sense. Comcast is available, but as a happy Dish customer, the only thing I'd look at was data. After the fiasco my brother went through with Comcast, I'm not eager to have anything to do with them.

I have AT&T DSL and a landline. AT&T doesn't offer U-verse in my neighborhood, so what alternative are they suppose to sell me? If they would run fiber to my house, or even close, I would consider switching off of these "aged copper lines", but no one is offering a wireless broadband solution that makes sense. Comcast is available, but as a happy Dish customer, the only thing I'd look at was data. After the fiasco my brother went through with Comcast, I'm not eager to have anything to do with them.

If AT&T had been using the monies provided to them under the USF they should have been able to run fiber close enough to their customers to provide at least U-Verse service. It is water under the bridge now they gave the money to shareholders instead of maintaining their lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts