DSL internet with no phone service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nodsirrah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
My son has signed up for Dish and was told he could get DSL internet with a "DSL compatible modem" just by plugging it into a phone jack without having landline phone service.
Sounds hokey to me. Any comments?

You don't just plug it in, you have to pay for the dsl internet service. You don't have to have phone service to have internet.

I just found out the company he is getting the DSL internet service from has to arrange with AT&T to use the existing lines, it is called Stand Alone service. This is not available in all areas. The guy he was talking to about the DSL service in as much as said "You don't need anything but a DSL compatible modem and he will take care of the connections". At first he said all we need to do is plug the modem into a telephone wall socket, no wiring required. So much for informed sales people.
By the way, DSL Standalone service jacks will not have a dial tone if you don't have telephone service.
Yes, you do have to pay for the DSL service.

Last edited:
DSL modems do just plug into a phone jack and a power outlet and then you are set. I think the phone companies are required to provide you with 911 service dialtone in case of an emergency even if you do not have phone service with them. If you want that service you would need to connect a DSL filter between the modem and the phone jack which splits out the signal for the phone and the modem. Each phone in the house would need a filter on it.

i have centurylink/qwest internet service and i have no telephone service. Works well out here in the boonies where i can't get a cablemodem. I even have 20-megabit service.

i have centurylink/qwest internet service and i have no telephone service. Works well out here in the boonies where i can't get a cablemodem. I even have 20-megabit service.

From a dsl line? That's surprising!

I have at&t DSL without a phone. It works, but is not anywhere near as fast as the Cox cable modem was. Then again, it's less than half the monthly cost.

My DSL is 1.5 right now, but fiber cables and new repeater boxes are going in all around, they say 6-12 MB after the first of the year, and I'm 12 miles from town! :D

The distance you live from the city is irrelevant. What determines your available speed is how close you are to the fiber terminal box. New neighborhoods out in the country often have fiber going out to a box near the neighborhood. The local loop will just be just the distance through the neighborhood. If you live in the city, you are likely served by (old) copper wiring back to the main C.O. which could be miles away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts