DSL Trouble

eurosport

In Dave Grohl We Trust!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 31, 2008
North Florida
This is the second time we've had this problem. Our DSL connection slows way down to like .34mbps when the usual speed is more like. 1.35 mbps. Last time they sent a guy out who said it was fine, and I got charged $22 extra on my bill. He checked the box outside and said its fine and to check my stuff inside. There is nothing wrong in here. It sped back up on it's own. Now its slow again and I refuse to let them charge me again for doing nothing. Anyone know why this is happening? Would trying a different modem help? I'm ready to tell them to shove it and just use my smartphone for internet like I'm doing right now. :(

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Need more information from you. What modem do you have? How are your computers connected to internet wireless, Ethernet?

The modem is a SageCom f@st 1704 on Windstream DSL, and the slowdown happens through ethernet and wireless. The computer is on ethernet and i do WI-FI with my Droid when at home.
Also, this morning the speed is back up where it should be. Again. :confused:
Is this just the "nature of the beast" or is there a real problem here TIA. :)
I also tried a brand new 2Wire 2701HG ...also from Windstream, but even with all lights green, it won't connect to web pages at all. I guess these modems aren't plug-n-play.

Last edited:
It's not unusual for shared bandwidth connections (cable, satellite, etc) to exhibit erratic speeds, especially during peak usage periods. The operative word being "shared". But the "D" in DSL stands for dedicated, meaning you're not sharing that connection with other customers of that provider. The quickest way to narrow down the problem is to temporarily eliminate your home network. Plug one computer directly into the DSL modem and evaluate the performance. If it's good, then the problem is local to your home network. If it's still shabby, call the DSL provider. Ask for another tech to come out - AND for a refund of your original $22.

//greg//

The modem is a SageCom f@st 1704 on Windstream DSL, and the slowdown happens through ethernet and wireless. The computer is on ethernet and i do WI-FI with my Droid when at home.
Also, this morning the speed is back up where it should be. Again. :confused:
Is this just the "nature of the beast" or is there a real problem here TIA. :)
I also tried a brand new 2Wire 2701HG ...also from Windstream, but even with all lights green, it won't connect to web pages at all. I guess these modems aren't plug-n-play.

You said ALL your lights are green, do they stay that way or does a red light come on on the DSL light ?
You mentioned not being able to connect to web pages ,
I set up the 2 wire your talking about every day, you DO have to register the modem/router before you'll be able to surf.
IF you know what your user name and password is you can also go into the modem settings and place your info into the modem and make sure to SAVE it at the bottom of the page and you should be good to go.

Sorry, if you said it comes and goes, then the modem is already set up, I didn't read all the way thru your post.

IF you have them out again, have them check the connection coming out of your modem, I try my best to NOT charge if I can help it and would check your connections free of charge as I would not want to be coming back out a day or so later.

Last edited:
If I set up the 2wire will the Sagecom 1704 still work if I swap back? The lights on the modem were all green even during the slowdown. How do I set up the password in the 2wire? Thanks! :)

Just wondering how far he is from the SLIC cabinet? Could he be near the end of the line? I know when I had Fairpoint install my DSL I was having problems with connection dropping. The tech had to go out on the pole and remove the old bridge tap and that cured it. I get 7mb service here upgradable to 15mb if I want to pay an extra $10/mo.

He should be able to log on to the modem/router and look at the connection speed and connection logs. I know I can on my Westell 7500.

BTW just curious does anyone have the Westell 7500? It seems to be a good modem/router.

It's not unusual for shared bandwidth connections (cable, satellite, etc) to exhibit erratic speeds, especially during peak usage periods. The operative word being "shared". But the "D" in DSL stands for dedicated, meaning you're not sharing that connection with other customers of that provider. The quickest way to narrow down the problem is to temporarily eliminate your home network. Plug one computer directly into the DSL modem and evaluate the performance. If it's good, then the problem is local to your home network. If it's still shabby, call the DSL provider. Ask for another tech to come out - AND for a refund of your original $22.

//greg//

Just wondering how far he is from the SLIC cabinet? Could he be near the end of the line? I know when I had Fairpoint install my DSL I was having problems with connection dropping.
It never dropped completely, just slowed way down. If the SLIC cabinets are the BIG phone boxes along the road, the closest one to my house is about 1.5 miles away. They're everywhere around here now, and I'm not sure which way the lines run. (everything phone related is run underground) :)

UPDATE:

Having another slowdown right now. Just got off the phone with Windstream. The representative said there have been several calls today about the slow speeds in this area, and that some equipment is being replaced/upgraded due to bandwidth issues. He mentioned "over-usage" ...I thought, as Greg said, I don't share this connection, but the Windstream guy seems to think otherwise. If it is over-usage it's wierd, 'cause it only happens a couple of times a month.....:confused: ...but it's annoying. :(

grohgreg said:
Point those boneheads to their own website: specifically to the DSL vs Cable paragraph

//greg//

I specifically mentioned the difference between cable and DSL when he mentioned over-usage, and he said it can happen with this too. I call BS here. It is still slow this morning, when usually the problem clears the next day, so maybe they will fix the offending part of the system this time. Hopefully.

Just my 2 cents here...

First, the D in DSL stands for Digital, not dedicated, as in digital subscriber line. Second, the concept of shared vs dedicated really has more to do with the carrier's peering, interconnects and backhaul than it does with the actual line that comes to your home either by coax or twisted pair copper (dsl).

For instance, the line speed on a particular line might me 5Mb but if there are 1000 users all attached to the same single connection point from carrier x to the "internet" and they are all downloading at once and that interconnect is only 1Gb, each user will see only 1Mb throughput. All of the Internet is one big aggregated model. That's how it works. It really does not matter if it's dsl or cable (cable has much better capacity for bandwidth than dsl). What matters is the backhaul and peering to support all of those users at once.

Update.

1. I would like to thank all of you who responded with suggestions and help. The members here are what makes this place as great as it is.
2. I didn't know a DSL filter could go bad, just enough to slow you down, but not stop you!
...but that's what I found tonight. :eek: :doh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)