DSS vs FTA Mpeg2/4 and ASC-3/8PSK changes ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TexRedNK

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 15, 2008
Dallas Tx Burbs
With the changes in DSS data (FTA Mpeg2/4 and ASC-3/8PSK), How will this affect those of us that still have the older FTA hardware that only detects and handles Mpeg2 video and ASC-3 audio ?
On recent re-scans of some birds and TPs, I seem to find fewer channels ?:(

There is obviously a slow transition to DVB-S2 ( with it's 8psk and mpeg4 compresson) . I don't think mpeg2 will disappear abruptly, but most of us have multiple solutions to cover the growing signal variety.
:)

There is obviously a slow transition to DVB-S2 ( with it's 8psk and mpeg4 compresson) . I don't think mpeg2 will disappear abruptly, but most of us have multiple solutions to cover the growing signal variety.
Thanks. Brent. BTW.. did you ever connect your Mercury II to a 80 mtr dish. (that's what I presently have) ? I am thinking of upgrading to at least a 100 mtr dish for better signal quality.

Last edited:
Thanks. Brent. BTW.. did you ever connect your Mercury II to a 80 mtr dish. (that's what I presently have) ? I am thinking of upgrading to at least a 100 mtr dish for better signal quality.

Yes, I just took down a 80CM dish when I added the 1.2m dish. The 80cm behaved okay, but as you might guess, the 90cm and 1.2M dishes give better rain fade performance . When I finally get the 1.2M aligned , I expect to picup a C/Ku lnbf and try for some of the stronger C-band transponders. I still have the 80cm dish/with SG2100 in my shed, just in case I find a use for it. 3 motorized dishes seem like a little much.

with over 30 percent bandwidth savings with dvb s2 over dvb s, you will see more and more transitioning to s2.

saving bandwidth maintaining quality is the name of the game and in the distance future your dvb-s mpeg 2 stuff will be like analog c-band receivers are today. Their may be something up there compatible but not much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)