DTV transition problem

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
I had to delete the local channels on my 622 and rescan before I could get some of my locals OTA. Not sure why that was but I haven't heard anyone mention this before.

Also my signal was 100% on most channels and now ABC and CBS are about 75%. Will this be a problem?

This is not a dish issue, what happened was some of the broadcasters moved frequencies today and some of these moves some channels when from UHF to VHF (and vice versa) so the signals you got on their temporary frequencies might not be the same on ther permanent location.

These moves are why you must rescan your off air digital signals.

And note you might have to do it again tomorrow since not all channels have moved or switched off their digital signals yet.

This is not a dish issue, what happened was some of the broadcasters moved frequencies today and some of these moves some channels when from UHF to VHF (and vice versa) so the signals you got on their temporary frequencies might not be the same on ther permanent location.

These moves are why you must rescan your off air digital signals.

And note you might have to do it again tomorrow since not all channels have moved or switched off their digital signals yet.

The problem is you have to delete the channels first. The first time I rescanned I didn't get 2 of my locals, oddly enough I did get a sub of one of the locals. I rescanned 2 more times and still got the yellow screen. Then I deleted all local channels and rescanned and they all came in.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a problem, but more of a step that needs to be preformed. Really just an FYI.

Scott, Could you change the title of the original post to read "DTV transition FYI"

Yup its true you do need to delete them first. I saw this a few moments ago on a box here in the office (Zenith).

The DTV commercials should say delete all channels and rescan again. :)

6 abc in Philly just switched about 10 minutes ago and I lost the channel on both my 722 and 622, I thought if you were hooked up to cable or satellite, you wouldn't hace to do anything???

Dish is having a problem in the New orleans area with one of their feeds. Ota is fine, but throught the Dish new orleans locals, Channel 26 ABC has no video, and has the audio for channel cw 38. Called dish, the rep was quite knowledgeable and said dish was aware of the problem and actually they had a list of stations they are having problems with and hopefully if it wasnt fixed by sunday to call back and possibly call the station.

The issue is that Dish needs to rescan the digital signals in theose areas themselves. :)

The channels are also down on DirecTV.

DirecTV was nice enough to send us a list of stations they would have issues with, unfortunately Dish did not do the same thing.

One thing to add here is that some of the channels are moving frequencies now that the switchover happened, and Dish, DirecTV and others can not rescan until the new signal is up on its new frequency.

I saw one station sign off a little while ago telling people not to rescan for their signal for about 20 minutes. I am guessing that is the case here as well

The issue is that Dish needs to rescan the digital signals in theose areas themselves. :)

The channels are also down on DirecTV.

DirecTV was nice enough to send us a list of stations they would have issues with, unfortunately Dish did not do the same thing.

One thing to add here is that some of the channels are moving frequencies now that the switchover happened, and Dish, DirecTV and others can not rescan until the new signal is up on its new frequency.

I saw one station sign off a little while ago telling people not to rescan for their signal for about 20 minutes. I am guessing that is the case here as well
Thanks scott , dish must have heard you and rescanned as the problem is fixed now.:up

We have a digital moving from ch 9 (virtual 11.1) to channel 11 (virtual 11.1) but they kept a slate up on ch 9 saying to rescan.

The psip on the ch 9 digital slate confused my 622. Even after deleting virtual ch 11.1 and re scanning, channel 9 still showed up and I could not even change channels off of it.

I had to manually delete ch 9 before I could change to 11.1 and get the station's regular broadcasting.

A second issue is that dish receivers seem to take the first channel that reports a particular virtual channel and not necessary the strongest. I get channel 13 (WNYT) on VHF real 12 from Albany but there is a repeater on real 28. 28's signal strength is about 20 points higher than 12's, but both say they are channel 13. I can delete 12 and add 28, but it is a major pain.

I've had a hell of a time getting my 612 to find any channels. I had to pull the amp so that my rooftop antenna is going (through a 3-way splitter) directly to the receiver. It seems if only one channel is too "loud", the tuner can't pick up anything.

Un-amped it can scan some channels. I kept deleting them all and exiting the setup and turning off and on, and eventually I got it to scan in most of my channels. I did not have this problem prior to today. Seems like the handling of the 612 OTA tuner is rather flakey.

A second issue is that dish receivers seem to take the first channel that reports a particular virtual channel and not necessary the strongest. I get channel 13 (WNYT) on VHF real 12 from Albany but there is a repeater on real 28. 28's signal strength is about 20 points higher than 12's, but both say they are channel 13. I can delete 12 and add 28, but it is a major pain.

How long has 28 repeater been up and where is it located. MY VHF points directly at the Albany tower in the Heldebergs. Right now getting 13.1 with 85 signal strength.

Last edited:
i had one that was analog 40 that went to digital 21, yesterday it would not tune into 40(virtual channel number there) so i had to delete them and readd them. when i did it showed 21 without its virtual channel number. today it did the exact opposite. messed my timers up too!

Really

Dish is having a problem in the New orleans area with one of their feeds. Ota is fine, but throught the Dish new orleans locals, Channel 26 ABC has no video, and has the audio for channel cw 38. Called dish, the rep was quite knowledgeable and said dish was aware of the problem and actually they had a list of stations they are having problems with and hopefully if it wasnt fixed by sunday to call back and possibly call the station.

I talked to day before the transition to let them know when to expect us to go and they had wrong info. Even with the correct info given to them they called 30 secs after we shut down. I was told that they had 200 going down this was 12:01 AM CDT. Called them again when we were back up and running and they did the scan of their DTV OTA tuners and had us up a few secs after were came back up around 1:40 AM. We changed from our "temp" 13 digital to what was our analog 9 and everything was good on their end.
I didn't have to delete any chs this afternoon on my 622 just do a rescan and it reassigned both our and competitor's move to our high VHF locations (us 9 them 7). Boy fun was being had all today (tongue firmly place in cheek) with all the ID-10-T's that didn't have a clue as to how to set up the boxes in the area. All day we got calls about my TV is gone and we can't get the channels anymore. Some were nice and we tried to help but can really do much when it is just a phone call.

OTA signal strength way down

I deleted all my locals and rescanned locals on the 722. The 722 is now no longer receiving several channels. WABC in NYC in particular had a very high signal. i rebooted and rescanned several times same result.

I then rescanned on my HDTV. All Channels come in perfect!!.
The tuner on the 722 has lost signal strength vs HDTV

P.S. All timers assoc with OTA channels now have to be redone DOH!

Thanks
kevin

How long has 28 repeater been up and where is it located. MY VHF points directly at the Albany tower in the Heldebergs. Right now getting 13.1 with 85 signal strength.

Great signal strength. My VHF antenna points at 298 degrees and I can actually get 6 OTA - 75% signal strength and NO drop-outs.

28 went digital on Wednesday - it is located on south mountain (less than 15 miles south from you). WNYT has a second repeater on Greylock (38) if you can get anything off that mountain. I am getting that one at 68% if I point directly at it - 30 degrees NE otherwise nothing.