DTVPal is not your Pal!

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
At The CES Dish had two DTV Converter Boxes.
The TR-40 and the TR-50.
One was priced 59.99 and the other was priced 39.99 wich would be free or close to it with the coupon.
Now all of a sudden the tr-40 and the tr-50 do not exist, they are gone, no one at dish network knows about them, all they have is the $60 DTVPal.
So why did Dish dump thiere $40 converter?

tr-50 has a replacement? that's odd...

the tr-40 is replaced by the Pal? it seems that 'rebranded' might be a better choice... or maybe superceded?...

somewhere amongst all the talk on the main thread, is something close to the truth.

have you ever bought 'plain brown wrapper' computer parts? were they cheaper? did they function any differently?

They said on charlie chat its 39.99 now there saying $60! What a ripoff!

This is exactly why I decided to use my $40 coupon for a different converter. I waited for the DTVpal to come out since my coupons expired late enough. Once I noticed the price was way over $40 I went with one of the units priced right around the coupon value.

You could stop whining and pay $200 for an actual receiver? If the government hadn't mandated equipment specific to easy transition, you would be.

So you think Charlie lieing about his company's plans is acceptable? I mean, I know he does it quite a bit, but that still doesn't make it right.

So you think Charlie lieing about his company's plans is acceptable? I mean, I know he does it quite a bit, but that still doesn't make it right.

I think ignorance must be bliss when you can expect that an announced price won't change between the time it appears in a press release and the time you have the product in your hands for purchase.

As far as Charlie lying, in Vegas they call it bluffing....unless you're counting cards. ;P

I think that when Dish realized no else was going to sell a box for 39.95, they put the low profit TR-40 on hold and just offered the upscale DTVPal version. I'm happy to pay another $20 to get the really nice features it has.

All the converters I have seen on the market are $59.

The Dish unit is also $59 but gives you more features for your money and is one of the best tuners I have tested so far.

If your going to spend $59 for a DTV converter the DTVPal is your best money spent.

The Dish unit is also $59 but gives you more features for your money and is one of the best tuners I have tested so far.

If your going to spend $59 for a DTV converter the DTVPal is your best money spent.

https://dtv.bsat.net/default.aspx

Here's a couple of units for .99 each (after applying your $40 coupon) + shipping.
I ordered two of the Artec T3A-Pro units from Bsat, I believe my total was ~17.50 with shipping for the two units. My coupons were going to expire before the DTV pal was ready to ship, and then after finding out the price wasn't gonna be $40
(essentially free after coupon, plus shipping), I ordered these. I'm donating them to a non-profit, if I hook them up anytime "soon" (gee, where have I seen that word before:D) I'll post my experience about how they work, etc.
Bsat is (I believe) in Illinois, the units were shipped Fed Ex ground from Newark, CA; so they don't actually stock them. It took about a week & a half for them to arrive after I placed the order.

You haven't looked at too many, then. I bought one unit at Best Buy and the Philco at Solid Signal. One was 59 and the other 89 (with analog pass through).

Yes, analog is going away, but I need analog as I work in TV and am on call forever. I have to see the off air (or lack of).

I ordered two of the Artec T3A-Pro units from Bsat, I believe my total was ~17.50 with shipping for the two units.
There are cheaper converters with shipping than that.

Most cheaper are using the Zoran SoC however not the LG like your Artec.

About the DTVPal why is Dish Network selling the F101TCGH-N software version through them and all other vendors get F100TCGH-N?

It's strange that Scott's DTVPal was also a F100TCGH-N

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)