Dtvpal webste/800 call

dennisinsc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Upstate SC
Dtvpal website/800 call

I just sent the following email to ceo@echostar.com

It has been some time since I have spent as frustrating a half hour as the past one has been.
I logged on to DTVPAL.Com to order two converter boxes.
The first time I entered the info it refused the order with no explanation.
The second time I entered the inofo it told me I can’t order on line because I’m an existing Dish customer. I have two TV’s that aren’t hooked into my satellite system and I don’t want to lose service on them next year.
So, I called the 800 number the web site insisted i call when it refused to take my order.
I get a CSR (Tiffany) who tells me it would cost almost $200 for one of these boxes, because there was an installation charge. When I questioned that she put me on hold to check to see if they could just mail the boxes our. When she came back, yes they could and they will cost me $68 each. When I questioned that as with the coupons the total order shud be around $66 with tax she was somewhat puzzled, like what coupons. So I asked for a supervisor and of course got put on hold again. After 15 minutes she came back on line and fed me some line about the computer not accepting coupons that maybe I could call back in a hour or so. NO deal, after over 30 minutes trying to get this done I was not about togive up.
Finally she came back and said OK what are the couopon numbers.
I think I have a valid order in place but she could not give me an order number or confirmation number just the approval number from the credit card transaction.
If in 7-10 days I don’t have my boxes you will be hearing from me again insisting that you ship me two at no additional charge.

Cust # xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For a company that must depend on computers you would think that they would spend some time approaching their phones and web sites from the customer side.

Last edited:
Just a side note here:

Posting an actual email address in a public forum ruins the address for everyone else because it will be harvested by scumbag spammers who will then blast the address into uselessness.

Please DO NOT post real addresses online ANYWHERE.

Thank you.

We now return to our previously scheduled programming...

to 8bitbytes: I'm sure the "scumbacg spammers" long ago gave up trying to get anything form ceo@echostar.com. Just like the rest of us.
I wonder how any emails to that address ever get read. They must have a good spam filter.

Sorry about your ordering troubles. It's becoming a problem all over. First, the companies converted their ordering systems to web based so they could make US do all the data entry, then they hire unskilled labor to handle the issues. Nothing like cutting your throat to save on the food bill.

And the beat goes on....

Somethng told me to check recent activity on our account.

They charged me full price!!!!!

To keep the story short, India had no idea about the pal boxes.

SoI called the 800 for dtvpal and after first talking to a CSR who was going to check on things i got transfered o Tech support who after another 30 min came back and said that their computer would not allow the coupons and to call back in 72 hours to give them time to fix things. Boy do i hope!

I will give them til Monday then it's time to call the CC and get a decline put on the transaction.

Keep your fingers crossed.

With all the time Dish had to prepare for this, one would think this stuff would be better organized and the training for reps would be up to par.
I could understand some issues as computer systems do screw up from time to time, but I had a similar situation yesterday and it was obvious that it was lack of preparation.

Is there any issue with coupons being assigned to particular addresses, i.e. will the government computers complain when coupons sent to X address are used to send a converter to another address?

I just called and placed the order. The CSR asked me for my gov't coupon and then other method of payment because the rest with tax and shipping would be like $25. I just gave my cc # and she gave me the confirmation number after telling me stuff I already knew. I thought it went rather smoothly. I do think that they should have not flagged dish customers from ordering it on the dtv pal website though. Who were they targeting when advertising the dtv pal if it wasn't dish customers?

India?

I asked why when I was on the phone and they told me I didn't need a DTVPal since the Dish receiver did the same thing. I suspect Dish did not want to be accused of selling devices to their customers that they did not need.

DTV/pal 800# clueless

After reading the stellar reviews of the DTV/pal, I called Dish Network to see if it is available. I had heard nothing from them after the e-mail of some weeks ago saying they would e-mail again when it became available. I wanted to use my $40 coupon which is nearing expiration.

After explaining my situation, the technical “expert” told me that they are required to tell the customer that my existing Dish satellite remote WILL NOT WORK if the DTV/pal is installed in the same room as the satellite receiver. WTF! “So what good is it?”, I asked. She repeated this several times and I finally hung up since she wouldn’t connect me to someone with a brain. Where do they find these people?

I am located in a rural area and receive only 2 over the air channels (NBC & CBS) with an amplified extra fringe VHF antenna. Pictures are fine and I am told the same antenna will work when the two OTA stations becomes digital. I have a dish 500 system and pay an additional $5.95/ mo for ABC, Fox to All America. I record the 2 local channels to a PVR and the DISH channels to the DISH DVR and, it there is a schedule conflict, I have east and west feeds from the two distant networks. I never watch anything live.

My other option to receive all of the 4 major networks would be to have another Dish antenna with 3 LNFs installed which they tell me would cost a $160 installation fee. Frankly, I don’t want anyone at my house installing anything. As someone who was in the C-band business, I know which end of the screwdriver to use. But they will not give me the equipment without “Professional Installation.”

So does anyone have any idea what the “expert” was talking about? Maybe I should just go to Walmart and buy the Magnavox TB-100MG9 and be done with all this nonsense.

I think come February next year there will be rioting in the streets when the people living under a rock lose their precious TV signals. What fun!!

Horses***! It works fine in the same room, or at least mine does. After all the crap last week, we got both of ours yesterday and they work fine.

What they are refering to is the remote with the DTV pal is like the one that comes with the 2800's that work on ALL receivers reguardless of the remote address.

Im not sure if the remote address in the DTVPAL is addressable.

The matter has been discussed in other threads.
There are good work arounds, depending on which Dish receiver you have, and how you want to handle the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts