Dual HDMI Outputs

Jerry1Gman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Cincinnati
Currently I have a Dish 522 DVR, recently I just bought my second HDTV. I would love to start watching broadcast HD, but I am waiting until I can show the recorded HD broadcast on to both HDTVs. How long does everybody think I should hold out for a DVR with dual HD recorders and dual HDMI outputs?

If you want to watch the same thing on both HDTV's just get a 622/722 and run one
TV off HDMI and the other off of Component. I do this with with my 622 feeding two HDTV's and it works fine.

Another option would be an HDMI splitter, but be sure to get a powered one, as I hear the non-powered ones generally don't work at all.

The first result on Amazon when "hdmi splitter" is searched for has a decent rating (not enough posts to post a link, sorry). It's a "2 Port HDMI Splitter" - Sold by Game Infinity.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that for me to get 5.1 Dolby, I have to use optical from my 722 to my receiver because it doesn't output surround sound over the HDMI. Might have to look into an optical/dig. coax splitter as well if you plan on having surround sound for both.

monoprice.com has some good deals on HDMI Splitters too... they are also, by far, the cheapest place to buy long HDMI cables. As mentioned though, make sure you buy a powered splitter.

I can't believe you've been waiting this long to watch HD content. If your second HDTV isn't at least a 32" screen, and you're more than 3' away from it, there's no point in waiting for a dual-HDMI box; your eyes won't be able to tell that it isn't HD. And to the people who want to argue about visual acuity, the OP has been watching SD content for all of this time already.

Pick up a 722k with the awesome 21.0 remote, and be happy for a long time. Regardless of whether you use TV2 as an SD discrete output or just run a mirror as sandman said, the 722k is a good box, and the 922 won't solve your problem (unless your second HDTV is a Sling client).

Here is what I got:
For only $60.75 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X2 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch w/ Remote Controller (Rev. 3.0) | Auto/Powered HDMI Switch
It takes 4 HDMI inputs and any of them can be switched (independently) to two different HDMI outputs. One of my outputs has a 35ft cable running to a 23" and the other has a 43ft cable running to a 37". Currently I have my old HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250) on one input and my new DISH 722 on another. When I get a blue-ray player I'll connect it to another one of the inputs. BTW, I have an IR distribution system so I can control my components from all the rooms where I have TVs. I have my 722 (and DirecTiVo) connected to 5 different TVs (three HD and two SD).

I have an HDMI switcher/splitter from Monoprice, which was recommended on this forum. It's terrific.

Aloha and Mahalo from the Big Island,

Dennis

Ok, I see the route I have to go.
Step one. Get my hands on a Dish 722k.
Step two. Run the TV1's HDMI via a powered splitter (monoprice #5418) to both TVs.
Step three. Run the TV2's composite to both TVs via a splitter (monoprice #2899) to both TVs.
Step four. Install a IR repeater (monoprice #5415) for the secluded TV to control TV1's HD content.
But I think I will just do step 1 & 2, put the DVR in single mode and watch HD content on my secluded TV. I should be able to control the DVR with the 21.0 UHF remote.
Thanks for your help Satellite Guys!

Last edited:
Your right Pepper, I meant composite. I'll fix it.

In single mode can I control the 722k DVR with TV2 remote from afar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)