This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dual tuner Tivo + Apartment pre-wired for CABLE = PROBLEM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scaddude

Original poster
Aug 30, 2005
Okay, I'm new here, hope you guys can help. Here's the scenario:

I have a dual tuner DirecTivo box.

I live in an apartment that won't let me drill holes in the outside walls.

The place has been pre-wired for cable. There are outlets in every room. Each outlet has 2 coax jacks. My manager doesnt know anything about it, so I'm stuck figuring this out on my own. But she did say she uses one jack for her cable, the other for her internet. I found the utility box where the cable company goes to wire the rooms. I found one unused cable with my room number on it. So, I can use that one cable for one tuner. If there is a 2nd jack for "internet", can I use that for the 2nd tuner?

Now, if I am unable to find a 2nd input, would it be possible to unify the signal from two cables to run into one wire, and then just split it again when it gets inside my apartment and plug them into the seperate tuners? My first guess is "No", but I tend to be wrong most of the time.

What are the possible solutions to this scenario?

Hope I made some sense. Thanks.

I'm not sure about the first paragraphs of your post regarding the internet (although I beleive this can be done, I am not sure of the config, also if the cable is not rg6, and the run is too long, you may not be able to use it at all for sat).

I beleive the second part of your post (if unable to find 2nd coax) would require what they call a stacker/destacker, which from what I hear, are very pricey.

You can use flat cable to get signals into your apt without drilling. Check on ebay for a pic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.