Dual usage of Satellite box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boomdog

Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I'm not trying to rip off anything just trying to do it a cheaper way.

I have Direct Tv in the Twin Cities and just bought a cabin 200 miles to the North in Minnesota, the people before me had Dish network.

Can I use one of my boxes from home when we go up north , the dish and set up remain from the previous owners.
If yes do I have to get my dish reajusted or what other steps do I need to take.

Thanks Boomdog

I'm not trying to rip off anything just trying to do it a cheaper way.

I have Direct Tv in the Twin Cities and just bought a cabin 200 miles to the North in Minnesota, the people before me had Dish network.

Can I use one of my boxes from home when we go up north , the dish and set up remain from the previous owners.
If yes do I have to get my dish reajusted or what other steps do I need to take.

Thanks Boomdog

The dish from Dishnetwork isn't compatible with the one from Directv. Also, you are likely too far to get the local channels on your spot beam. In any event, what you want to do is against the terms of service you agreed to when you got Directv. That isn't to say that alot of people don't do it.

What I'd do in your situation would be to buy a slimline from ebay, the grounding block, etc, and set that up at your cabin, and either set up a new box up there, or just bring your box from home. (The former is the only way to go if you have a DVR) According to DTV Spots Map, the spot you're in now goes all the way up into canada, perhaps all the way up to winnipeg, so you should be fine for locals.

Addendum:
Where is your cabin exactly, I have a number of friends who have a number of cabins dotted around up north, I might be able to help if I know exactly what city or around what city it's in.

Just to mention, the map is a few years old, D* may have changed beams in that time, someteims they shift or adjust them.

More importantly, those beams are the SD ones.

HD locals are on very tight spotbeams compared to the SD ones, just an FYI.

What you want to do do isn't against your service agreement if you take a reciever with you when you go. The only way you are in violation is if at both locations someone is watching TV (ex. your wife is at home watching tv and you are at your cabin watching tv). I checked into this. I have the same situation. In fact DirecTV told me they would set up an install at my cabin if needed. I told them I would do it myself and an installer just gave me a dish to install myself.

The other option though is to simply get a dish on ebay if you don't have an installer coming to your home for any reason.

Just to mention, the map is a few years old, D* may have changed beams in that time, someteims they shift or adjust them.

More importantly, those beams are the SD ones.

HD locals are on very tight spotbeams compared to the SD ones, just an FYI.

Glad you brought this up, I'm rather curious about the HD spotbeams. I live in the Cincinnati market area but if I go 30ish miles southwest of me (as the crow flys) I'd be in Louisville KY's "market area". I'd rather have Louisville for the simple fact that all of our bad weather comes from that direction, and that by the time Cincinnati local news reports any severe weather warnings, they've already hit us and gone. We live maybe 35-40 miles (air) to Cincinnati and maybe 60-70ish to downtown Louisville. I've thought about "making the move" for awhile just haven't gotten around to doing yet.

My question is does Louisville's HD spot cover enough area to hit me? I live about 30-35 miles fom Madison IN which is in Lou's market. PLus I could still get any Cincy locals OTA with my antenna.

Main question was how wide is the HD spot for Louisville. Also, their SD locals come in off the 119. Do the HD's as well? or are they on the 99 or 103? If the HD's still come in on their kaku119 I'd have to move my dish because I have some issues in the spring with the 119, but nothing else.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)