Dumb noob question about locals

Lane

Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Tennessee
Hi folks... been a Dish subscriber for a couple of years. With the recent price hike, I'm looking for ways to reduce my bill. One way would be to drop local programming... My question is - what constitutes "local" programming"? What do I lose if I drop it? Do I still keep the big three's network programming? I'd hate to pay the $5 downgrade fee, just to find the wife can no longer watch "The Biggest Loser"

Thanks in advance...

Are you an HD sub? What equipment do you have? What programming package? Premiums? Are your locals available OTA? Need more info.

Your local channels are what you'd pick up with an antenna. You will not get any of the big four networks without an antenna if you drop the local channels. Also, if you put up an antenna, guide listings will no longer show up, but you will be able to watch the channels you pick up.

Your local channels are what you'd pick up with an antenna. You will not get any of the big four networks without an antenna if you drop the local channels. Also, if you put up an antenna, guide listings will no longer show up, but you will be able to watch the channels you pick up.

On our 211k's and 612's the OTA is hooked to the stb and does display guide info, the yellow blocks are OTA, sorry the pisture is bad

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 180
You will still loose the guide info. Just cause its in yellow, you will still lose it. But you will still be able to watch the channels that are in yellow. If you want to record a show lets say; biggest loser you will have to manually put in 8pm to 9pm. You will not be able to go just by the name in the guide.

But you're getting your locals via satellite also, so you have the guide data. If you weren't, you wouldn't have guide data. Dish doesn't do the sensible thing and use the data that's broadcast by the OTA channels themselves.

It was my understanding that as of this month, there wouldn't be an option to subscribe without locals anyway, so I think this thread is pointless.

I was under the assumption that you cant drop locals from the package if you have locals available....that its all bundled now

what receiver? If its a HD receiver then what folks say above will work. If its a SD only, then you just lost your locals through the receiver totally since the SD receiver do not have a OTA tuner in them

But you're getting your locals via satellite also, so you have the guide data. If you weren't, you wouldn't have guide data. Dish doesn't do the sensible thing and use the data that's broadcast by the OTA channels themselves.

It was my understanding that as of this month, there wouldn't be an option to subscribe without locals anyway, so I think this thread is pointless.

The locals gotten by E* are DC locals the OTA are from Richmond. Guide data has been there for a year. Programming in DC is different than Richmond

I think Jim was talking to the OP...I know I was.

But back to your point, if Dish carries the local then it is mapped in the receiver (programming guide) if you can get it OTA

The locals typically include SD channels beyond the big 4 with the guide for those, too.
Recording HD from satellite takes ~1/2 the space that OTA does. It does not include most sub-channels or secondary channel.
-Ken

Are you an HD sub? What equipment do you have? What programming package? Premiums? Are your locals available OTA? Need more info.

I'm subscribed to the TurboHD Bronze package (or whatever they call it now...), no premiums, VIP622 DVR. I'm pretty sure locals are available OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts