Duplex Dish Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SomeRandomIdiot

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 8, 2009
USA
Single DirecTV dish on 2 unit Duplex feeding both sides on individual accounts.

Had dish w/o internal SWiM....4 cable feed powering 2 external SWiMs.

New Dish has internal SWiM. Really do not want to put a second dish on the roof.

Any way to isolate the networks on both sides of the Duplex?

Thanks.

Yea. You need a band stop filter.

Do not confuse with a B band filter.

The one you need is red with a small pig tail coax cable on the end.

Go on eBay. They are $5 each.

You will need 2 of them. One for each separate system or account

That was actually my first thought as I have several of them here.

But then I *thought* that would also filter needed output from internal Dish SWiM??

As filters are 2 way, out of curiosity, why would I need 2?

Not an issue as I have several, but trying to figure out why 2 are needed?
You should need only one, but two for added isolation I guess ...

BTW, who handles the PI in this installation out of curiosity?

As it might be a good idea to install two as they actually can work in parallel. One for each unit to prevent one side from unplugging the PI or if one goes bad causing both units to lose service.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

just in case anyone else sees this in the future, its B-Band converter you dont want. not a b-band filter. only bring it up because thats what it says on the sticker.

You should need only one, but two for added isolation I guess ...

BTW, who handles the PI in this installation out of curiosity?

As it might be a good idea to install two as they actually can work in parallel. One for each unit to prevent one side from unplugging the PI or if one goes bad causing both units to lose service.

The PI goes through the appropriate side of a splitters going up from one of the units, but that's actually decent idea if it would not burn out the unit in the dish with 2x power.

This does bring up a good question. Is there a new external SWiM if one needs more tuner connections and the dish is a newer type with built in SWiM?

Certainly there has to be for MDU installation.

The PI goes through the appropriate side of a splitters going up from one of the units, but that's actually decent idea if it would not burn out the unit in the dish with 2x power.

This does bring up a good question. Is there a new external SWiM if one needs more tuner connections and the dish is a newer type with built in SWiM?

Certainly there has to be for MDU installation.

No, two PIs in parallel shouldn't burn out the LNB as each PI apparently backs off to supplying 50% of the necessary power as demonstrated when connected to an external SWM-16 here ...

And no, while I've heard a new DSWM ext. multiswitch which can support up to 30 tuners is under development to work with a Reverse Band legacy LNB so MDUs and residential installs with the 95W dish can receive the Reverse Band. Nothing has appeared as of yet ...

You know what...

Go on eBay and search for a D2 lite enclosure.

They are trending for around $100 on eBay which is super cheap.

It will support 16 Tuners, most of them have the B band converters built into them and they are wired to support multiple swm power supplies.

It's got all the inputs labeled on the side of the enclosure and is nice and clean to install.

Other than that they do make a swm13 LNB which will work if you need more than 8 tuners.

There is a reverse band LNB that will do 22, but if you have 1 older receiver in your setup the whole thing will default to 13 tuners.

Haven't played with the swm30 LNB yet

... Haven't played with the swm30 LNB yet

Don't think there is any "SWM30 LNB" in existence or under development.

But a Reverse Band capable DSWM-30 external multiswitch to work with an upcoming Reverse Band six output legacy LNB so that MDUs and residential installs with the 95W dish can receive the Reverse Band.

No, two PIs in parallel shouldn't burn out the LNB as each PI apparently backs off to supplying 50% of the necessary power as demonstrated when connected to an external SWM-16 here ...

The PIs don't "back off", it's just electricity 101. A PI just sets up a voltage, it does not "pump power" to anything. So if you have two PIs connected, 50% of the power will come from each side.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)