DVB-S how much life left?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Any speculation as to how much longer DVB-S will be in use? Does anyone know anything about Equity's stations and when for some practical use they might drop the DVB-S channels in favor of more modern encoding?

Any speculation as to how much longer DVB-S will be in use? Does anyone know anything about Equity's stations and when for some practical use they might drop the DVB-S channels in favor of more modern encoding?

I don't think any of us know the answer to that question. We are all hoping that it is a long way down the road because as of now, there are no blind scan DVB-S2 STB's out there so, that would make it really hard to find wild feeds and new signals.

As for other satellites than Equity, I would have to guess that many are not even considering DVD-S2, at least I hope not!

Any speculation as to how much longer DVB-S will be in use?
I assume it will stay around for a long long time.

Does anyone know anything about Equity's stations and when for some practical use they might drop the DVB-S channels in favor of more modern encoding?
They are changing to DVB-S2 sometime. Don't know when but they already have one mux (G26 C-Band) that is DVB-S2 and G3 will go next then G10 last. We don't know when but it will happen

Main reason is money...costs alot less to run DVB-S2 and can get more channels on a mux (the G26 mux has 28 channels on it).

Interesting. Didn't realize DVB-S2 allowed more compression or bandwidth. Thought it was mostly for HD.

I'd imagine the religious programming that has a strong FTA base would likely be reluctant to change technology and drop DVB-S2 and lose audience.

Its too bad we cant just swap a chip or reprogram our old STB's to receive DVB-S2.

When dvb-S2 is used with H.264 the bandwidth savings are remarkable, great for both SD and HD, many will most probably stay with dvb-s many new muxes may start using dvb-S2 and H.264, keep in mind there is still analog being used, the older type DCII is still very popular so I would not worry, every few years new systems come out, to pull these in you must invest, and so new receivers or pci cards will always be necessary.

I'd imagine the religious programming that has a strong FTA base would likely be reluctant to change technology and drop DVB-S2 and lose audience.

I think you mean DVB but heck some religious channels are analog still (Doc Scott, EWTN, Shepherd's Chapel, Inspiration).

Wiorld Harvest TV & TBN went digital to maximize the channels they can offer in a mux. TBN has all 5 channels they have + HD now on G14 (formerly G5)

Yeah, my error, mean't drop DVB-S.

I wonder if the satellites themselves need replacing or if they are fully capable of passing on whatever is uplinked to them without any internal processing of the signal? In other words, is the satellite like a mirror that just reflects back down the signal after perhaps changing the frequency and amplifying the signal, or does the satellite itself process the digital signal in some way?

Yeah, my error, mean't drop DVB-S.

I wonder if the satellites themselves need replacing or if they are fully capable of passing on whatever is uplinked to them without any internal processing of the signal? In other words, is the satellite like a mirror that just reflects back down the signal after perhaps changing the frequency and amplifying the signal, or does the satellite itself process the digital signal in some way?

According to wiki, a transponder is: An automatic device that receives, amplifies, and retransmits a signal on a different frequency.

I think that would mean that it will simiply repeat back what is sent up to it.

Isn't there a couple of satellites that have both DN and DTV channels on them? They use completely different systems, and have no problems using the same satellite unless I am mistaken about that.

Isn't there a couple of satellites that have both DN and DTV channels on them? They use completely different systems, and have no problems using the same satellite unless I am mistaken about that.

no. There are satekllites at the same slot but they are different satellites

But you can have multiple types on a satellite.. Look at G26 as an example.
they have
C-Band analog (feeds)
C-Band DVB (AMGTV as example)
C-Band DVB-S2 (Equity)
C-Band DCII (Nebraska PBS)

so they can do whatever they want :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts