Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Some time back, someone here posted about such software they used. I now cannot find that thread. Now that my Blu-ray collection alone is over 100, I've got to do better than the Excel spreadsheet I came up with. There are many, many such programs online. So I'm asking for recommendations for such software. I'm sure many of us here have tried such programs.

I'd like it to have the following features:

-Track at least 500 discs.
-Flag as DVD, BD or both, and allow selection/sorting. e.g.- print alpha list of BDs only.
-Search by partial title.
-Have a flag I can define. e.g.- sold. (so I can see I don't have it, but don't buy again).
-Perhaps a genre flag, and a rating flag.
-Really nice if it allowed adding a note to each record, perhaps for a small review or comments.
-"Loaned out" flag, with note as to who borrowed it and when.
-Output in Excel and Word formats.

Am I missing some useful feature?

That's the first one that came up when I searched, but I wasn't sure about the features. The description is kinda thin. I don't want to try out a dozen different programs. But I may have to give this one a go.

I notice the mobile version is $8.99 at the iTunes store, but $18.99 direct from Invelos. Different versions, I gather, but despite the numbering scheme, it appears the iTunes version is the later one (going by dates). The ability to scan in my collection from my iPhone has great appeal. Anyone know anything about either mobile version?

I can't tell - does it allow printing a title list of just Blu-ray discs?

I've downloaded the trial Profiler, and have been poking around it. I see Media Types, but I see no obvious or easy way to confine a report to just one Media Type. I suspect I might be able to create Categories to do the job, but again, I see no selection options there. Heck, I'd gladly just preserve certain Collection Number ranges for regular or BD discs, but again, it's all in learning how to confine reports one way or another. I found "sort by" but it is very limited.

And I can't get it to read discs from the drive. I tried The King's Speech and Hitchhiker's Guide, but no result is returned and no "can't find it" report either.

Maybe I can get back to it tonight.

On edit: Searching the knowledge base there has turned up some indications that it can be done, but the explanations as to "how" are too advanced for me to understand. I'll actually have to put some time into this to learn how to create custom reports! ;)

There is a huge number of additional reports online, but I sure don't see any way of sifting thru for what I want, other than reading each one. Anyone got any ideas/experience?

Last edited:
I use My Movies and it works great with my setup (I have my collection ripped to HDDs and played through windows media player). There is also a mobile app. I'm not sure about all the features you're looking for. But give it a shot, the basic version is free with enhanced features free for 30 days (after that, enhanced features require you to contribute info to the movie database to unlock things or pay to unlock).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My Movies is quite interesting; I like some of the differences. However, it is much slower in adding DVDs, and does not recognize some of my DVDs that Profiler recognizes. Also, under Print you can go to fastreports (Create Template) to design your own report. EXTREMELY complicated method to design your own report (& is still unclear about restricting the printout to say, all Blu-rays), and the Help Contents function in that area does not work.

I guess I'm going to go with Profiler and hope to find/make simple, selective, reports so that I don't have to print out the entire collection each time.

Thanks to all.

DVD Database software, catalog your DVD and Blu-Ray movies

My sister has been using this for several years. She just scans the barcode and adds it to their library and she can check her library with the iphone app if they are unsure if they have a particular movie or season of a tv series. They are happy with it, I checked it out a couple of years ago, but I put most of my media on my hard drives for streaming around the house and don't keep a lot of the discs anymore. Her and my brother in law have hundreds of dvd's and bluray's

Thank you, but I bought DVD Profiler, both the PC and iPhone versions. Scan it in on the iPhone, and after a few send them to the PC.

I discovered that in DVD P, I can just have several databases. So I'm putting regular DVDs in one, Blu-rays in another, and I'll create a database for SACD/DVD-A, and another for CDs, etc.

It'll work. The guy is almost a year late with a release of the next version- maybe there won't be a next version. But it looks like this will work out quite well for me, as is.

I'll have a chance to play with it when I get back in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts