DVD Recorder's

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Hey guys Im looking at getting one of the new Sony Recorders. Has anyone had any luck getting them to work with their receivers. They have 3 models RDRGX7 which is the one Im looking at mainly due to the I-Link Input and they have the RDRGX300. Then the big gun will be out soon RDRHX900 with a 160GB Hard Drive. Anyway Ive been waiteing for something to come out so that way I could record things off my main WideScreen with the 811. Again thanks for the input. :)

I'm looking as well. I want one that will work with my 921 (no firewire cracks please) for SD programming, and I want one with a hard drive BUT not one with a Tivo subscription that I would have to buy or a compatibility issue with my E* receiver.......

I was looking at a $599 Pioneer model and a Sony one that was cheaper (i forget the model number off the top of my head)

BobMurdoch said:
I'm looking as well. I want one that will work with my 921 (no firewire cracks please) for SD programming, and I want one with a hard drive BUT not one with a Tivo subscription that I would have to buy or a compatibility issue with my E* receiver.......

I was looking at a $599 Pioneer model and a Sony one that was cheaper (i forget the model number off the top of my head)

I am little confused here. The receivers work with dvd recorders or vcrs with out any problem. Why would be it an issue with a recorder with hard drive? I believe it should work the same. Receiver output connect to the recorder and from the recorder to tv should work. Sorry If I misunderstood the question.

If you just want to manually offload programs via the composite inputs all will work fine.

Some use a guide (like Tivo) that doesn't get along with Satellite receivers (it assumes everyone has cable). I also don't want one with a Tivo guide that I will never use......

I use a Panasonic E85H connected via S-Video to my Dish 6000 and Voom stb. I record the shows then edit and burn them to DVD and get a great picture from them. The only hassle is having to set a timer on every box since there are no control codes for the Panny. Not a big deal, but sometimes I forget to set the recorder and miss a show. The Panny uses the Gemstar guide, which is downloaded from your local PBS station. It also has a very good Analog tuner in it, I get better PQ from the analog tuner than I do from most OTA SD Digital channels.

Sony RDR GX300

I recently bought a Sony RDR GX300 and hooked it up to my 811 through the S-Video output and it works great, very clear crisp recordings. Since I am using my DVI it turns off the Component video but not the S-video. I am still trying to get it to program the channel guide though.

TuxCoder said:
I want one with digital audio input ala imaginary Philips DVDR740...
Thats the very reason I sold my panasonic last month. Screw that...the sound was terrible. I knew it would be but I bought it anyway.
:D

bryan92 said:
Thats the very reason I sold my panasonic last month. Screw that...the sound was terrible. I knew it would be but I bought it anyway.
:D
You must have had a bad Panny, I get great sound out of mine. When I record a show and feel my Bass Shakers whump from Dolby Digital, I get the whump playing back the Pro Logic from the Panny. :D

DVR Sony

Another thing with mine is that when I am not watching an HD channel I watch TV through the Sone on progressive mode and get 480p on my other channel's and wow what a smokin picture! :shocked

I have 6000 & RDRGX300

The sony remote can change 6000's channels and even be timered to do so. The picture running s-video through the sony is much better than my prior philips recorder. word of note---sony is finicky on formating DVD+RW's that are not new.

I have a ilo DVDRHD04 DVD recorder w/ 80 GB HDD conected to the S-Video output of my 811. Works great as a PVR (has the ability to pause live TV) and also I use it to record shows to the HDD then edit out the commercials and archive the edited show to a DVD. Hey for $278 at Walmart it's the cheapest avenue I could find. Plus no monthly PVR fees! Plus I can record any content recorded on my 501 or 7200 and edit if needed or burn direct to a DVD for archiving.

Barry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts