DVD Recording vs DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ocaddict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Atlanta
Ok guys. I need to get some DVR action going as I really miss having it. But seeing the DVD recorders getting cheaper everyday. Do any of you have experience with both of them? I'm curious if the DVD recorders use an interface similar to DVR or TIVO, or are they basically like a VCR. Program and record? Any input from you guys is appreciated.

Have a panasonic dmr30 it can use Ram discs that are re-writeable many times. It does have timers like a vcr. The newest models have HD's in them and you can save the programs either in the HD or the Ram disc. I like the PQ I get from the Ram discs as I record downrezzed HD when I'm not home. ( I have a replay box I have had a month or so that I am using more than the panasonic now)

My Panasonic DMR-E80 (hard-drive recorder and DVD burner) is pretty much like a VCR for its recording: Pick start time, end time, channel number. The channel number can also be L1, L2 or L3 which are the input jacks.

Most of them aren't bundled with a guide as a Tivo/DirecTivo/DishDVR is, but an exception is the Pioneer DVR-810H-S which has built-in Tivo software, but is not an inexpensive proposition. One of the items adding to the cost may be the Tivo subscription - from the above link it appears that "no subscription is needed", so that adds approx. $300 to the cost (which is what a lifetime Tivo subscription costs for a standalone Tivo unit).

I absolutely refuse to pay TIVO. I think their prices are unreasonable. Anywho, thanks for the updates. I didn't know if I could get the flexibility of recording shows/series etc with a DVD recorder. I think I may just pickup a nice 508 to suit my DVR needs.

ocaddict said:
I absolutely refuse to pay TIVO. I think their prices are unreasonable.
In the form of DirecTivo fees I find them quite reasonable ($4.99/mo per account, not per DVR like Dish does. Since I was already paying $9.99/mo. for Dishplayer 7200 DVR fees it was "no problem" when I switched to D* from E*.

For standalone Tivo fee of $12.95/mo. I pretty much agree - but some people are willing to pay that much (or do the lifetime sub for $299) because the Tivo is so much more than a mere VCR.

I didn't know if I could get the flexibility of recording shows/series etc with a DVD recorder.
The quick answer is "no". You might snoop around at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=106 as well.

There's also the "roll your own" PC-based DVR systems too (that might include DVD burning). They use an external guide data source such as http://gist.com. Too much hassle for the PC-based DVR to suit me (I used to have time for such stuff but no longer) but it is the most flexible.

Thanks for the info vid. I briefly considered a HTPC but just don't have the time to invest in researching software and playing with it. I just want something nice and easy to record my stuff.
I didn't realize the DirecTVTivo wasn't based per unit like Dish Networks. Yeah, 5$ a month isn't bad but I was talking about the TIVO unit 12.95$ fees like you mentioned. Fortunately with some of the older Dishnetwork receivers such as the 508, there are no DVR fees involved. Only the extra $4.99 for an extra receiver. That I can deal with.

I've got one of the newer Panasonic DVD recorders that has the HDD. It works but I wish that E* would make a pvr that includes a DVD.

2 issues - one is that you have to again re-think your connections. Everything must run through the DVD or it's useless as a recorder. This is a bigger deal than you first think. I've had to add s-vid splitters and toslink/coax converters. Probably have $100 in just the connections. Plus re-programing all of my macros on the universal remote and re-aligning my tv for new inputs.

Second is that in order to record you are limited to live speed (twice if you go to the HDD first) and unless you have the 522 you are using the only output on the system. So I generally start a recording only before bed. I wish for two things in the near term - that E* would update the IR blaster codes to include DVD recorders, and implement a "Play List" feature so that I can dub several shows at once to whatever recording device I've got. (or just watch a mini-series back to back - or maybe maraton watch a whole season of a series)

Also I must say after being used to the polishied interface and simple operation of my 721, I really appreciate the work that E* ( Tivo and Replay included too) has done with the software and the integration of the program guide. Frankly, the panasonic software sucks. I'm an IT professional and I have had the manual next to my chair since x-mas. I can't imagine a non-techincal person's frustration at this system.

I would also like to schedule a public flogging for the Panasonic engineer that did not include a USB interface and keyboard drivers on this box. The remote control gets my vote as the most poorly designed hunk of crap out there and then having to use it to input program information about the recordings via an on-screen "keyboard" is just plain sadistic.

smammon said:
2 issues - one is that you have to again re-think your connections. Everything must run through the DVD or it's useless as a recorder. This is a bigger deal than you first think. I've had to add s-vid splitters and toslink/coax converters. Probably have $100 in just the connections. Plus re-programing all of my macros on the universal remote and re-aligning my tv for new inputs.

where did you get your s-video splitters? I have been looking for some and the one that I got from radio shack just didn't cut it

Thanks

Big Bob said:
where did you get your s-video splitters? I have been looking for some and the one that I got from radio shack just didn't cut it

Thanks

I ordered it online - I'll look and see if I can find the place.

smmamon-

Was thinking of getting a similar setup. any chance of a schematic of how you setup your tuner/DVD/TV? I have a friend with the E80 and he has been pretty happy with it, though there are limitations. With the Panasonic, are we talking something along the lines of a VCR-type UI? I've got a closet full of VHS tapes I want to archive eventually.

As a fellow IT Pro, it does amaze me sometimes for what passes as User Interface. You would think that a company as big as Panasonic could hire someone to do a decent UI- like my brother, who is a UI designer looking for work!

arachide said:
smmamon-

Was thinking of getting a similar setup. any chance of a schematic of how you setup your tuner/DVD/TV? I have a friend with the E80 and he has been pretty happy with it, though there are limitations. With the Panasonic, are we talking something along the lines of a VCR-type UI? I've got a closet full of VHS tapes I want to archive eventually.

As a fellow IT Pro, it does amaze me sometimes for what passes as User Interface. You would think that a company as big as Panasonic could hire someone to do a decent UI- like my brother, who is a UI designer looking for work!

When I get a minute I'll see if I can coble up something that gets the idea accross. BTW The panasonic I've got is a DMR-E80H.

Big Bob said:

Thanks

http://www.smarthome.com/8283.html
I picked one up for about $55, (Froogle for it with the model#)

smammon said:
I would also like to schedule a public flogging for the Panasonic engineer that did not include a USB interface and keyboard drivers on this box. The remote control gets my vote as the most poorly designed hunk of crap out there and then having to use it to input program information about the recordings via an on-screen "keyboard" is just plain sadistic.

That hilarious my friend. Anyways, I ended up getting a Dish 508 DVR unit and I'm pleased as punch. I keep it on video input 1 on the TV and can record at will. Since it only has 1 tuner I can move over to my 811 (on video input 2) during recordings and watch what I want and enjoy HD content as well. Basically I have most of the flexibility of a 921 (minus HD recording) for MUCH MUCH less.
By the way. I just picked up this hunk-0-junk and I can't pickup ANY decent OTA channels. Anyone else have experience with this thing?

PC.TRK.TV42.JPG

TRK TV42

Correction for the Pioneer unit: It will do BASIC DVR functions, pause, rewind, record but it will not do the advanced stuff like season pass without paying extra.

ocaddict said:
That hilarious my friend. Anyways, I ended up getting a Dish 508 DVR unit and I'm pleased as punch. I keep it on video input 1 on the TV and can record at will. Since it only has 1 tuner I can move over to my 811 (on video input 2) during recordings and watch what I want and enjoy HD content as well. Basically I have most of the flexibility of a 921 (minus HD recording) for MUCH MUCH less.
By the way. I just picked up this hunk-0-junk and I can't pickup ANY decent OTA channels. Anyone else have experience with this thing?

PC.TRK.TV42.JPG

TRK TV42

hunk o junk is right. Go for the Silver Sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)