DVI and Component outs on 921 are WEAK!

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
firebird2k said:
You've got to be kidding me.. They won't output HD signal via component cable? the 811 output 720P over component fine and the higher end 921 won't output 720p over component cable! That's absolutely absurd and stupid of them to do that...

Sorry think I was being confusing!. THe composite and DVI output on the 921 will only output HD signals. So for an example. I also have VOOM. With Vooms reciever. I only have to have my DVI hooked to my tv. The Voom will output native (what the signal is 480-780-1081) to my Tv and my Wega tv upconverts the signal or plays true HD if that is what signal is.

With the 921 I have to hook up the RCA video output jacks to TV (actually thru my Onkyo THX Reciever) and either my DVI or Component cables to tv, (another major flaw is you can only pick one from DVI or Component cables) and when I watch HD shows, I have to put Wega tv into DVI or COmponent Mode and push HD/SD 921 button to put 921 into HD mode. Then if I switch to a standard SD channel (screen go's Blank) until I toggle HD/SD to SD mode for 921 Reciever and put my tv into RCA jack video mode.
The only lucky thing is I was able to program Tv remote codes into 921 remote. so toggle is a not quite as much as a pain.

In comparison. with Voom all I have to do is change channels on remote and never loose picture without having to touch a button!

What I dont understand is the remote on the 921 has the HD/SD button. My guess is that this should probably downconvert HD to sd so you would not have to toggle as much. Waste of a function button!

I am using a 921 on a Sony Wega with the composite video. I have the 921 always set to HD mode, and receive SD and HD content. The Sony changes modes to match the input from the 921.

Sorry to be confusing. I have same as you. The problem is that if you leave Component out hooked to your wega and change to a SD or 480i channel, you get gosh awflul Hourglass or pillar video on SD channels. With my VOOM box (and should happen with 921 ) I can pass native signals so when I swich to SD broadcast I get full (normal) picture. You can not do this that I know of with your Wega. I guess if you dont mind out of wack SD (I dont mind letterbox SD but my wife freaks out!) picture its ok. But they should have NATIVE resolution so your WEGA can do its job better then 921 does convering.

I don't understand the problem you're having. When I hit the HD/SD button, my 921 switches from 1080i over component to 480i over composite. I DO have to switch the aspect ratio (Menu-6-9) to get everything spot-on.

Thats the problem. You have to toggle either by menu 6-9 or toggle your tvs inputs ( rca-DVI or Composites. With Native on Voom you need to toggle NOTHING! much more user friendly for the wifes that dont want to see SD in non normal mode on 4*3 Tv's
I dont really mind the toggle but simple would be better with Native output,

Why when I have the top rated tube ever made. Yea I know its 2 years old and if I waited I could have bought a widescreen Wega. I like tube picture WAY better then widescreen DLP ect. I am holding out for Big LCD too come down in price!

iceshark said:
Why when I have the top rated tube ever made. Yea I know its 2 years old and if I waited I could have bought a widescreen Wega. I like tube picture WAY better then widescreen DLP ect. I am holding out for Big LCD too come down in price!

I agree the picture on your TV is incredible. I'd have one, but it's just so TEEENY ;)