ESPN2HD? C'mon Dish!

kpeercy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
This channel launches tomorrow with 3 HD college basketball games. With Dish and Directv failing to make an announcement, will anyone see them?

Honestly, I would have to think this is one of the reasons they haven't moved transponders around. My hunch is D* and E* and V* all get it tomorrow.

Any "inside info" would be appreciated though - the rumour mill isn't spinning on this one...

On dish? That's stretching it for me, but I guess If I keep my hopes down it will be a bigger surpise if I see it. I don't really care for anything that's going to be on it for now...

It's one of the only reasons I can think of that they haven't gone back to 2 HD channels per transponder. Other then that, it's lunacy they haven't...

But all the TPs are full. They better not add it to the HDNet transponder, and I trust they wont. The only TP that was open was TP19 but now the 6 channel app thing is back on it, perhaps there's still room there.

Hmmmm - maybe they're putting the 6 channel-thing up to test the bandwidth constraint without content (i.e. ESPN2-HD doesn't exist yet)

Again, could be wishful thinking on my part...

D* just announced a bunch of new interactive content. I have a sinking feeling E* is more concerned about competing with that than adding HD. :(

NightRyder

kpeercy said:
This channel launches tomorrow with 3 HD college basketball games. With Dish and Directv failing to make an announcement, will anyone see them?

Just one man's opinion, but I couldn't care less about ESPN2. I'm not a fan of college sports, so how often will there be something there I'm interested in? I'd much rather see something like Bravo HD, than a channel which will have a few college HD games per week, and fill the rest of the time with upconverted lumberjack competitions.

I agree that Dish needs to give us more HD content, but I think one ESPN is plenty.

Yes I'd rather have another 24 hour channel like Universal HD than ESPN2. I wont be watching any of those games that are on that's for sure. Maybe during baseball it will be nice, but it doen't really matter to me.

I am for more sports. ESPN2HD sounds like fun to me. I don't think I have ever watched the Bravo channel, what content do they broadcast?

As a College Basketball fan, I would love to see ESPN2HD added, but realistically, if Dish was going to add it at lauch tomorrow, wouldnt they already have it up and testing? Didnt TNTHD appear in testing a couple weeks before launch?

I think TNT was testing a couple of weeks but it didn't appear until the morning of the launch. The reason there are probably no test is that ESPN hasn't launched the signal yet. I guess they'll do it today or tomorrow, but you would think they'd test it for more than a day.

I also think there's plenty of sports entertainment available already. Besides alot of you guys can go see your favorite team in person. In that case you've got Ultimate Definition.

Have you priced what it costs to see your local pro team in person? It's outrageous, but then how else do you pay Donavan McNabb $110 million!

I think that the majority of subscribers would prefer Universal HD over ESPNHD2, plus if they dont currently have the capacity, I don't want them to add it at the expense of more compression. The current amount of compression is too much already.

The answer is no.

DirecTV and Adelphia are the only to that have been included in the press release for launch coverage

Well I am a huge sports fan, but I must say that I'd rather have Universal HD because at least it is programming in HD. Not the Great Outdoor Games Upconvert or something. CBB is no big deal to me especially if UNC is not playing, but any new HD would be nice to say the least!!!