DVI-I or DVI-D? (1 Viewer)

MagicConch

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 9, 2004
22
0
Does the Voom receiver output only digital out on the DVI or does it have the VGA on there as well?

My TV prefers RGBHV over Component. Thanks
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
Either DVI-I or DVI-D will work. It is up to you to decide which you would like to buy as the D is more expensive.

NO VGA on VOOM box. Is there a DVI-RGBHV convert? I do not know but I think I heard something like this.
 

MagicConch

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 9, 2004
22
0
Are you saying there are two set top boxes? One with DVI-D and one with DVI-I?

DVI-D output means the box only outputs digital signal. On DVI-I means it outputs analog + digital out of the DVI output.

Both are convertable but while DVI-I takes a 3 dollar part, the DVI-D takes a part that costs several hundred dollars and not compatible with HDCP. Thanks.
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
MagicConch said:
Are you saying there are two set top boxes? One with DVI-D and one with DVI-I?

DVI-D output means the box only outputs digital signal. On DVI-I means it outputs analog + digital out of the DVI output.

Both are convertable but while DVI-I takes a 3 dollar part, the DVI-D takes a part that costs several hundred dollars and not compatible with HDCP. Thanks.

No, I am saying that either cable ( I or D) will work with the DVI output of the VOOM Box. It's up to you to decide which cable you will prefer. I am using the DVI-I but I heard others are using DVI-D.
 

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
903
0
I believe the Voom box is only DVI-D compatible Sean.
 

Harrypr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 31, 2003
23
0
Sean,
I have a DVI-D to HDMI adapter cable and a Y Pb Pr cable. My TV has both HDMI and Y Pb Pr inputs, so hopefully one of them will work well with the Voom receiver. My install is on again for Wednesday. I'm hoping for clear skies!
 

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
32,075
9,582
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
DVI-D is used on most PJ inputs. I don't believe you can plug a DVI-I cable into that as it woulod smash some of the pins if you tried. You can plug a DVI-D cable into a DVI-I output device. Usually this is to breakout the RGB signals for an analog monitor such as with the 921. The VOOM boxes I saw had DVI-D output.

Conversion boxes to get DVI-D from RGBHV were available and I asked several of the people selloing them. They are all for computer use and do not support HDCP. If HDCP is active they do not work.
Ther were no DVI-D to RGBHV or component boxes that I saw. This would also violate the HDCP license so I doubt you will ever see any that supports HDCP.
 

rudolpht

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
587
0
I use the Gefen DVI switcher to switch DV59-avi DVD player (HDMI-DVI), Voom, Dish 921, and HTPC. They all work (in video res) to a plasma with DVI-HDCP card. As I don't think all of these have identical interfaces, maybe the switch, that reconstitute the signal helps. Regardless, for me it works.
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
rudolpht said:
I use the Gefen DVI switcher to switch DV59-avi DVD player (HDMI-DVI), Voom, Dish 921, and HTPC. They all work (in video res) to a plasma with DVI-HDCP card. As I don't think all of these have identical interfaces, maybe the switch, that reconstitute the signal helps. Regardless, for me it works.

Tim,

How much you paid and where did you buy it from or is there a good place to buy it from? I had to disconnect my htpc for the VOOM receiver and I will need to reconnect my htpc if I decide to keep VOOM or get a 921.
 

MagicConch

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 9, 2004
22
0
Gefen also makes the DVI->VGA interface. Great company. too bad that solution won't work for me :(
 

rudolpht

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
587
0
Sean,

DVIgear, same prices, but immediate delivery. I placed an order direct through gefen & never got a response back.

I also piced up a DVI-HDMI and HDMI-HDMI cable through DVIgear.

Unlike the PC switches, DVI cables are not included, but remote is & it works very well (HDCP or not). Highly recommended.

Good luck, Tim
 

owlbox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 18, 2004
223
0
MA
DVI-D to HDMI cable

Does anyone make these? Sounds like the monster cable I just received won't plug into the Voom box when it arrives on Mon. I don't see any mention of DVI-D on their site and the cable has the gap in the middle so it is DVI-I I guess. Crap, I'm hosed! So close but yet so far away. :mad:
 

owlbox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 18, 2004
223
0
MA
SEAN-
Can you tell me what the pinout on your DVI cable looks like? The DVI to HDMI cable I got from monster has two 3x3 blocks of pins separated bye a similar space and then has a single flat blade on one end. I called Monster and nobody seems to be able to tell me if this cable with work with the Voom STB.
 

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
502
0
owlbox said:
Does anyone make these? Sounds like the monster cable I just received won't plug into the Voom box when it arrives on Mon. I don't see any mention of DVI-D on their site and the cable has the gap in the middle so it is DVI-I I guess. Crap, I'm hosed! So close but yet so far away. :mad:

First, you shouldn't have wasted money on overpriced Monster cable and second, you have the right cable. If there is a gap in the middle it only means you have single link cable which is fine.
 

Lem52

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 18, 2004
249
1
Cookeville, TN
I just hooked up my connection from my Voom box via DVI cable. The dvi connection on the tv has a 24 pin input and a blade that goes in but there are 2 holes above and below the little blade. The cable I bought does not have those 4 pins to fit in there but the dvi works ok. Is this the right way to do it?

Lem52
 

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
502
0
Lem52 said:
I just hooked up my connection from my Voom box via DVI cable. The dvi connection on the tv has a 24 pin input and a blade that goes in but there are 2 holes above and below the little blade. The cable I bought does not have those 4 pins to fit in there but the dvi works ok. Is this the right way to do it?

Lem52

I hope my link answered your question. V* can use DVI-D dual or single link.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top