DVI-I to HDMI Cable

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I decided to join the "fun" and just bought a 921 and a Panasonic CT-34WX54 HDTV.

The TV has the new HDMI-HDCP input and the 921 has a DVI-I output.

Panasonic makes a DVI/HDMI cable but I cannot find out what kind of DVI connector it is (DVI-I, DVI-D, DVI-A). Panasonic can't even tell me. Panny part # TY-SCH03DH.

I did an internet search and found DVI cables and HDMI adaptors. Is there not a DVI-HDMI cable?

Don't even worry about getting the Panasonic version either. Without trying to start a cable debate, I submit the following company as a reasonable place to purchase good cables for low prices. Pacific Cable.com. Here is a link to their webpage that has HDMI-DVI cables. I use one to connect my 921 to my Panny. Good luck.

Neutron said:
Why would the 921 need a DVI-I connector when everything about it is digital??
It is? What about the component, S-Video, RCA, and RF outputs?

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it basically:
DVI-A plus DVI-D = DVI-I ? In other words, DVI-I or DVI-A is just a repackaging of the component outputs?

I know the other ports are analog I was talking about the sat signal.

Why would you need analog for a digital signal?

Yes DVI-I (integrated?) = DVI-D (digital) + DVI-A (analog)

If you were to plug a DVI to VGA adapter into a DVI-A or DVI-I port you should be able to connect it to a display that is equipped with a VGA input or (with the use of a VGA to RGB breakout cable) a set of RGB inputs. These inputs are fairly common on older front projection units that are capable of HD resolutions but were built before HD-component video ports became common.

Good question.

My top two guesses (and that is all they are) would be

1. DVI-I might not be supported by the chip set used on the 811.

2. The projectors that could benefit from the RGB signal are mostly high-end devices. E* has positioned the 811 as it's entry level HD receiver and the 921 as a high-end receiver. You could argue that the owner of a high-end projector would purchase the high-end receiver and thus include the feature on the 921 but not the 811.

Or it could be something else entirely.

Neutron said:
I know the other ports are analog I was talking about the sat signal.

Why would you need analog for a digital signal?
The two items have no relationship whatsoever.

Slap me upside the head if I'm wrong, but DVI is still a 3-color signal so-to-speak. It's NOT a MPEG data stream, and generally speaking, has nothing to do with the signal source - satellite or otherwise.

Oh - and just for reference, the satellite input is not strictly speaking a digital signal. It's digital data coming in on something like a 12GHz analog carrier wave which is downconverted by the LNBF to a 950 or 1550MHz carrier for transport to the receiver. It's the tuner there that demodulates the signal to extract the digital data.

Neutron said:
You need a DVI-D cable, not DVI-I

So you need a DVI-D to HDMI cable.

Where does one find a dvi-i cable? I asked bettercables for a dvi-i to hdmi and was told none exisited. I should use the dvd-d to hdmi.
What is the real consequence of using dvi - d versus dvi-?i

On a satellite receiver none. DVI-I combines DVI-D and DVI-A (analog). You can get by with a DVI-D.

I was mistaken thinking the 921 was DVI-D, it indeed is DVI-I.

Most HDTVs with the DVI port is DVI-D.

You will use a DVI-D to HDMI for the 921.

There are no consequences, since the 921 doesn't pass any analog info through the DVI port.

That's what I use and it looks great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)