DVR 508 receiving 121W only?

geobernd

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2004
I am about to embark on a setup for a specific international channel (German TV) on Dish... I am mainly a DirecTV customer and 'in love' with Tivo so switching everything is not an option with the state of the dish DVRs...

I am planning this setup:
DVR508, 30" Dish with linear 10.750 LNB pointed at 121W

Will that work? Or do I need data from 110/119?

I cant use a SuperDish:
I have lot's of very tall trees on the are surrounding my hose and I can't get to 110 and 121 from the same spot. When I setup DirecTV no commercial installer wanted to deal with it because the line of sight issue. Armed with protractor and compass I found a spot on the hillside that get's me by the trees for 101 - that was 4 years ago and I haven't lost the signal once...
I found a spot for reaching 121 (this will actually be a new one for me, a 'rock mount' in a huge bolder on a hill). I didn't look for a spot for 110 (yet...) - I know it wouldn't work from my 101 or 121 spots...

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
I think 121 only could be a problem. The program updates might not be there - but they should be on 119.

A 121 SuperDish should work fine to get 119 & 121 - if you've got LOS for 121 it'd be real hard to NOT have it 2 whiskers away at 119.

However, IIRC, if you want the 8-day EPG, you gotta have 110.

geobernd

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2004
Hmmm...
Now you got me worried :eek:
I am pretty sure I can get the 119... But I was going to reuse an existing 30" dish and just get the LNB instead of forking money over to Dish for the 121 SuperDish (they don't give you a big break for international only....)
What happens if I don't get program updates? Will the receiver still work or will I not be able to boot up initally?

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Eventually, the receiver will be too far behind the curve to ever catch up.

No reason why you can't use 2 separate dishes to catch 119 & 121 if that's best for you.

larrystotler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
Winchester, VA
Since you are planning on using a legacy style FSS dish, you can use a standard 18" dish to get the 119 and an SW21 to tie them together. The 110 is only needed for the 9 day EPG and the stuff in the top120 and up. You will still get most of what you need from the 119, especially if you only want the 121 and E* for the international programming.

geobernd

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2004
I assume the programming updates are on 110 as well?

If I tie two dishes together I should be able to get to 110 (and get the EPG as well) with the second dish (my yard is going to look like a dish graveyard ;) )....

So for example I'll use a Dish 300 for 110, the 30"er for 121 and the SW21 to combine them...

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Yes - 110 will work just fine for program updates and the 9-day guide.

Note to other readers: Remember geobernd only wants ONE channel, and it's on 121.

geobernd

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2004
Thanks all who replied for getting me up to speed :)

I buried two new RG6 (Quad) runs today and setup the dish mounts... I will get 110 at least while there are no leaves - it's really a close call - if it doesn't work out next spring I'll explore a more creative solution...
My DVR508 is in the mail, KU LNB is in the mail, SW21 should be in the mail on Monday... (The rest I have here already) I'll let you know how it all works out (I shall be pointing the dishes by Thursday....)

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
He don't need any additional dishes, if the desired channel(s) exist only on 121W;
all Dish satellites have own EPG SID [channel]. More interesting - no channels sending from 129W, but EPG still transmitting.

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
P.Smith - in this context, 'EPG' means Extended Program Guide, not Electronic Program Guide. I guess we need to start using 'XPG' when referring to the 8-day guide.

Jury is still out on whether the software is available on anything other than 110/119/61.5

geobernd

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2004
I am done setting up the 121W dish... I outdid myself this time, by setting the angle and eyeing it with a compass I had a signal of around 75 right from the get go - a few minutes of fine tuning and I am over 100 on most transponders... Transponder 23 only comes in at 88 - that's the one my channel is on...
I can confirm that the software updates are on 121 - my 508 updated itself without a hitch. Before the update I didn't have 121 in the pointing menu - but thankfully the sat ID is still listed when it's saying 'wrong satellite' :)
Tomorrow the 110 should be set (I am waiting for the SW21) and then the guide should fill...

Thanks all for the great help!

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
Could he use that linear LNBF with a SW64 to combine all three signals?

I know when Philly was on 129 we used a SW64 witha funky looking LNBF.

geobernd

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2004
110 is up and running as well... Signal around 108 on 11 and 12...
After doing about 5 check switches it finally dawned on me that I probably need to click 'Superdish' to make the 508 recognize 121 through the SW21 and voila - all set.

I first dragged everything outside again to try there - I had a little worry with my long runs, but it works good so far...
Using approx. 200 feet RG6QuadShield (less resistance for the 18Volts with the bigger shielding) from each of the Dishes to the SW21, and then about 5 inches between the SW21 and the reciever. Signal quality is exactly the same without the 200 feet RG6 in between - I must have picked pretty good cable this time...

Program data is there, GermanTV was activated today - I am as happy as a pig in the mud :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts