Dvr 510

joe53081

Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I would like to know if there is any way that I can use the DVR part of a DN 510 Receiver/DVR without having a subscription to DN?
Can I use the DVR with FTA or with Cable TV?

I connected the cable to the box but it didn't work.
I need to know if I need to reconfigure something or modify something to make the DVR work.
Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

I would like to know if there is any way that I can use the DVR part of a DN 510 Receiver/DVR without having a subscription to DN?

I need to know if I need to reconfigure something or modify something to make the DVR work.

Joe

Yeah, isn't there away to get FTA channels like the Muzak channels? I know they FTA so would it work?
Could I connect a Driectv 3LNB SAT to this unit, and would it work?

Thanks!

Scott

Joe

No, the dvr is set to Dish programing, there is no input to use an external source.

Nope. The 510 doesn't have a ATSC tuner.

Yes it does. Look here:
Tech Portal : 501/508 510

It may not be ATSC, but if it is NTSC we can still use it for things like cable tv, VCR outputs, and regular rabbit ear shows (until 2009)

Does anyone know if you can use the OTA antenna input WITHOUT subscription to dish. This would make a great DVR for someone that only has OTA antennas and wants a DVR.

The 5xx series has no over the air tuner - it will "pass thru" similar to a VCR, but not record OTA or cable inputs. You just can't do anything with it other than recording Dish channels.

Yes it does. Look here:
Tech Portal : 501/508 510

It may not be ATSC, but if it is NTSC we can still use it for things like cable tv, VCR outputs, and regular rabbit ear shows (until 2009)

Does anyone know if you can use the OTA antenna input WITHOUT subscription to dish. This would make a great DVR for someone that only has OTA antennas and wants a DVR.

I don't see anything on this link that says there is any type of tuner, if you are referring to the antenna in, that is just for pass thru as Cold Irons states.

The 510 won't record anything without an enabling signal from DISH Network. The tuner configuration (which does not include any OTA tuner of any kind) doesn't matter when the DVR functionality is disabled.

The 510 won't record anything without an enabling signal from DISH Network. The tuner configuration (which does not include any OTA tuner of any kind) doesn't matter when the DVR functionality is disabled.

Ok, well then what is this "pass-thru?"

When you look on the picture of the rear of the box, it has a jack that say "antenna/cabe in" I just assumed that it was an OTA tuner.

Rear of Receiver

Why would E* put a jack on the back of the receiver that does absloutly nothing.

It's a pass-through, just like that on the back of a VCR. The difference is the VCRs all (?) have an NTSC tuner built in, while the 510 does not. In any case, the pass-through function is almost as useful as it was on a VCR, for example so that you can watch one analog RF TV channel while recording another. Of course if your TV isn't hooked up to the RF output of the 510, then the pass-through is indeed useless. I think the 510 has to be off in order for the pass-through to pass RF through... So you can't quite record a satellite program while watching an RF TV channel.

Last edited:
It's a pass-through, just like that on the back of a VCR. The difference is the VCRs all (?) have an NTSC tuner built in, while the 510 does not. In any case, the pass-through function is almost as useful as it was on a VCR, for example so that you can watch one analog RF TV channel while recording another. Of course if your TV isn't hooked up to the RF output of the 510, then the pass-through is indeed useless. I think the 510 has to be off in order for the pass-through to pass RF through... So you can't quite record a satellite program while watching an RF TV channel.

Thanks that helps!

Now I understand!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)