DVR 522 event history said it recorded - but no show to watch?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Steve Mackay

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
So this is the first bug I've noticed in the 522. Last night was when a once only DVR Timer was set to record. I didn't notice if the red light on the unit was on, indicating a record (I was out).

When I got back in to view my show I was surprised to find it was not in the DVR events menu. I checked the timer history and sure enough I had set the timer correctly. Then I checked the DVR events history and sure enough it shows it recorded the whole show and that nobody had deleted it. SO where is it?

Why doesn't it show in the DVR events list?

I tried everything I could think off - powering off, on. Hard resets, going to the other tuner to look for it etc etc. No joy. :mad:

CHeers

Steve

Is it possible that the event has a different name than you expected? For example, I set a manual timer for a show in a given time frame (recording a little sooner than it started and a little later than it ended) and it ended up recording but had a different name than the show I was actually targetting (can't remember if it named it based on the show *before* or the show *after*). At any rate, the DVR had recorded the show but I was looking for a different name... and when you have a good number of events recorded, it's easy to miss it if it doesn't have the name you are looking for.

Actually, I wonder why there isn't an option to set the name for a recorded event manually.... especially when you set a manual timer. Anyway, it's a long shot but you might want to take a look again and make sure it isn't really there. I haven't had any problems with the timers on my 522... though I have had a few audio/video glitches now and then when playing back.

Travis

Steve Mackay said:
So this is the first bug I've noticed in the 522. Last night was when a once only DVR Timer was set to record. I didn't notice if the red light on the unit was on, indicating a record (I was out).

When I got back in to view my show I was surprised to find it was not in the DVR events menu. I checked the timer history and sure enough I had set the timer correctly. Then I checked the DVR events history and sure enough it shows it recorded the whole show and that nobody had deleted it. SO where is it?

Why doesn't it show in the DVR events list?

I tried everything I could think off - powering off, on. Hard resets, going to the other tuner to look for it etc etc. No joy. :mad:

CHeers

Steve

I don't think so but I'll check again

I don't think it had a different name. I sorted my DVR events list by Event Date/Time and it was just not there. I also went through the list manually to see if there was anything it could be. Nothing jumped out.

It is so annoying that I've missed that show because of the DVR. A Tivo owning friend at work is giving me the 'I told you so' speach! :rolleyes:

AS for your Audio/video glitches I have the usual loss of sound when you press pause on live TV. However last week my DVR recorded a show with only first 10 minutes of sound. I wasn't sure if it was the DVR or the satellite feed. Asking around at work nobody else had a sound problem with that show so I figured it was probably the DVR.

Cheers for the reply though.

Steve

I had the same problem....

I had the exact same problem with my 522 not recording an event that it said it had. I checked the software version and it's the latest as of 11-09-04. History shows that it recorded but no event listed at all!!!!!

Hope this doesn't keep happening. I'll let you know if I find an answer. :(

Same thing happening here. I had it set to record 2 hours of Stargate SG-1, it says it recorded the first hour but it only got about a second of nothing and then goes back to the list. It didn't record the second hour at all. And I saw the little red light on the front. Is this a software glitch? If so I hope they fix it soon.

Steve Mackay said:
I checked the timer history and sure enough I had set the timer correctly. Then I checked the DVR events history and sure enough it shows it recorded the whole show and that nobody had deleted it.
A successful timer record should show THREE events in the "Timer History" ... "Started", "Recorded", and "Completed". They may not be in this order, and may not all be together if other timers were firing around the same time. The Timer History will show you nothing about any user deletions.

The "DVR Events History" is a different animal. It lists only one type of thing, and that's a "User Delete". So if you see your show in the DVR History, it's telling you that someone deleted it.

The only time I would expect a show to be shown in the DVR Menu is if it's listed three times in the Timer History (Started, Recorded, Completed) and is NOT listed in the DVR Events History. A listing in DVR Events History will tell you when the show was deleted, and from which tuner.

[edit]
There have been reports of timer problems, I've seen problems myself, so I'm NOT saying that the 522 is problem free. My comments describe how things are supposed to work. If you really see your show in the DVR Events History, make triple sure that you or somebody else didn't accidently delete it. I haven't personally run into a case where a totally bogus user delete event just shows up out of nowhere in the DVR Event History. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that I've not heard it reported before.
[/edit]

I'm also noticeing that my total available record time is down to 94 hrs and 25 min left. I only have 3 hours recorded so shouldn't that leave me 97 hours left? Is it just forgetting that it recorded?

And I did check the timer history and it says the recording completed and I checked the DVR events history and it wasn't deleted.

And it says the same for both shows, the one that's not there and the one that it only recorded a few seconds of.

monteis2000 said:
I'm also noticeing that my total available record time is down to 94 hrs and 25 min left. I only have 3 hours recorded so shouldn't that leave me 97 hours left? Is it just forgetting that it recorded?
You will find after a while recording with the 522 that a two hour show will take three hours of estimated DVR time on average. Plan on needing 1.5 times what the published show duration says.
monteis2000 said:
And I did check the timer history and it says the recording completed and I checked the DVR events history and it wasn't deleted.
This scenerio sounds like a timer bug then. I know that Dish is looking into timer bugs currently. Hang in there for a bit and hopefully the issues will be solved. In my experience, timers will work most of the time. Every now and then you'll end up with a "Huh? I wonder what happened there?" incident.

Thanks haertig, honestly i was more worried about the total time thing than I was about the programs not showing up. Nearly everything repeats eventually, but if I was losing total record time then that would have been a problem. So if it's a known bug that they're working on then I'll relax a bit. Thanks again.

I've seen where a hard drive diag pops up and events are not recorded since it was interrupted. This is WAD - working as designed - I think.

I've seen where a show is recorded with the proper name, but the content is different. Example, BYUTV shows the Router Work Shop that I normally record, and it recorded it, but there was a basketball game recorded instead. BYUTV pre-empted the Router show and showed the basketball game instead without changing the guide name. The 522 Name Based recording had no clue, so it was just following instructions. This is WAD also.

But saying it recorded and completed, and now show up, you will want to send that to DISH so they can fix it.

-John

Its been my experience that every week or so, the 522 realy benefits from a front-panel reset. I've even heard of missing shows reapearing after a reset. When our 522 starts to get "twitchy", we do the front-panel reset, and things seem a lot more trouble-free after that for a week or so, then some twitchiness slowly creeps back in. A lot like Windows 9x, the 522 just needs the occasional reboot.

Steve, what was the show? I noticed that my timers weren't kicking in last night, but it was because the idiot that this country elected was on (aka the State of the Union address). I guess the NBR does work after all-- :)

griz_fan said:
Its been my experience that every week or so, the 522 realy benefits from a front-panel reset. I've even heard of missing shows reapearing after a reset. When our 522 starts to get "twitchy", we do the front-panel reset, and things seem a lot more trouble-free after that for a week or so, then some twitchiness slowly creeps back in. A lot like Windows 9x, the 522 just needs the occasional reboot.

I JUST bought a 522, LOVE it, but what is a "front panel reset"

tracyt said:
I JUST bought a 522, LOVE it, but what is a "front panel reset"

just hold the power button on the front of the receiver until the system resets. Basically, from my understanding, it "reboots" the 522. the process does take a few minutes, though. Turn it off, turn it on, wait for it to re-aquire sat. signals and you should be good to go. The 522 isn't perfect, but this trick seems to have helped us clear up most of the minor issues we've seen. Overall, I'm quite happy with our 522 as well... Hope that helps!

There are two types of resets for the 522

Soft reset - Hold the power button on the front panel for a few seconds the unit will shut down and reboot re-aquire sat signal and then download the guide.

Hard reset - Un plug the unit for at least 15 seconds when you plug back in the unit will then reboot and re-aquire sat signal and then download the guide.