DVR 530 issues

Ronald E Baran

Original poster
May 8, 2009
Ontario,Canada
I'm new and don't see anything regarding problems with the DVR 530 I purchased 2 unit in 04 ( I believe ) they were just out I have had both units replaced 3 times ( 6 units ) and now less than a year I am having problems with one of the units. It has good signal for each LNB and does not record. if you try to record a program while another (supposedly ) is being recorded , it comes up with the standard response to choose which program you really want to record. Still nothing is in the DVR list . I have tried to hold the button down to reset. It goes through the process which results in loss of the guide but the problem does not fix. I have not tried unplugging the unit but this is similar to previous failures. Does anyone have any ideas ? SC will not replace wit a new unit and only sends out refurbished units --at price ,of course. Can anyone help?

I've had a 530 for a couple of years and have never had any problems, so it's not like the unit design is inherently defective. Mine is always powered via a computer UPS unit, which protects the unit from power disturbances.

It sounds like there is some external problem that's killing your units. Do you have good electrical power? Maybe there are power spikes? Are your coax cables running parallel to some AC power wires? Is your dish properly grounded?

I also have a 530 for 3 years without problems. I do use a UPS unit as well. Unfortunately I do not know enough about the units to offer any real help. But as suggested check your power source and down leads from the Dish.