Bell Expressview satellite 91 and 82 issues

Tkingsbury

Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
Dorset Ontario
Howdy Folks -

We have a bell expressview setup at our cottage. the dish has been in place for over a decade, its is mounted on a cement base, facing across the lake so I know there is no chance of an obstruction in front of the dish.

We have a 9241 receiver that has been in place for 4 or 5 years with no issues, unless we have really severe weather.
This spring we seemed to have issues with HD channels coming from the 82 satellite.

I checked the strength, I have 100% on 91 telling me its pretty much locked in, but 52-60 on 82 and sometimes it seemed to fluctuate lower.

I thought ok. maybe the line or the head on the dish. i ran a new line down to the dish and seemed to be the same. I got a new head that has 4 connection points put it on and that seemed to help a bit but we still have issues on hd channels. Everything I read in the documentation from long ago was to try and get the best signal you can on 91 and 82 will look after itself. Well with a signal of 100 on 91 clearly that isnt working for us,

Do I need a bigger dish? or what direction should I look to go?

I still am not sure why it seemed like we had years of it working fine on HD and nonHD channels and this spring that changed, but I just cant seem to figure out what the issue is

Howdy Folks -

We have a bell expressview setup at our cottage. the dish has been in place for over a decade, its is mounted on a cement base, facing across the lake so I know there is no chance of an obstruction in front of the dish.

We have a 9241 receiver that has been in place for 4 or 5 years with no issues, unless we have really severe weather.
This spring we seemed to have issues with HD channels coming from the 82 satellite.

I checked the strength, I have 100% on 91 telling me its pretty much locked in, but 52-60 on 82 and sometimes it seemed to fluctuate lower.

I thought ok. maybe the line or the head on the dish. i ran a new line down to the dish and seemed to be the same. I got a new head that has 4 connection points put it on and that seemed to help a bit but we still have issues on hd channels. Everything I read in the documentation from long ago was to try and get the best signal you can on 91 and 82 will look after itself. Well with a signal of 100 on 91 clearly that isnt working for us,

Do I need a bigger dish? or what direction should I look to go?

I still am not sure why it seemed like we had years of it working fine on HD and nonHD channels and this spring that changed, but I just cant seem to figure out what the issue is
Check the ends on your coax for rust or corrosion.that should take care of your problems

Reactions: Tkingsbury
Check the ends on your coax for rust or corrosion.that should take care of your problems
I did check. no signs of corrossion at all. I went ahead and replaced the end just in case. its a brand new rg6 cable. Did nothing.. Tried moving it across each of the connection points on the LNB, no difference. strength of 100 and doesnt move on 91, but at best it will be 50 on 82 and will drop to 0. I had a spare LNB and results the same.

Have somebody watch the signal strength while you push or pull on the dish slightly left to right, up and down. Like a quarter of one degree just a slight tweak. If you are mispointed a little bit, it will be apparent when you try this.

Have somebody watch the signal strength while you push or pull on the dish slightly left to right, up and down. Like a quarter of one degree just a slight tweak. If you are mispointed a little bit, it will be apparent when you try this.
Ill give that a try in the morning for sure. I had tried it earlier, but not since I replaced the ends

A little success... 100 on 91 before and 48 on 82.. a tiny bit up and I can get it to 55.. and I do mean a tiny bit up.. a tiny down or a tiny right or left and it drops like a rock.. and I was waiting a good 30 seconds inbetween the light movement. Lock in with the slighly up 55 on satellite 91 and it dropped to 91-95.. seems to float a little every few seconds on 91 .. Straight 55 on 82.. As I said, this couldnt be a more solid mount.. is on a poured concrete pier and the 1st think in front of it is across the bay which is at least a mile.. So there is no obstruction. (ill even attach pictures for the fun of it)

With perfect weather 55 will work on hd.. but it takes nothing for that to drop and we loose hd.

Its a brand new line with brand new pro ends on the line.. Heck today I even ran a factory made 100 foot line inbetween the dish and the receiver. Same thing.
We have tried replacing the splitter that takes 1 line from the dish to the receiver.. same thing..

Its a bell 9241 receiver.. I guess next we can haul up an HD receiver from home and try it.. Do I maybe need a bigger dish ?

Attachments

• satellite oct 3 2021 - after 82.jpg
    satellite oct 3 2021 - after 82.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 194
  • satellite oct 3 2021 - after 91 - b.jpg
    satellite oct 3 2021 - after 91 - b.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 184
  • satellite oct 3 2021 - after 91.jpg
    satellite oct 3 2021 - after 91.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 194
  • satellite oct 3 2021 before.jpg
    satellite oct 3 2021 before.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 184
  • satellite oct 3 2021 - after.jpg
    satellite oct 3 2021 - after.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 172
  • satellite oct 3 2021.jpg
    satellite oct 3 2021.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 161
  • thumbnail (48).jpg
    thumbnail (48).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 170
  • thumbnail (47).jpg
    thumbnail (47).jpg
    211 KB · Views: 168
Well the dish hasn't been hit and looks as it was for several years.
Looks can be deceiving. Sometimes it is the arm that gets bent.
The cable was the first thing we changed so I guess we will have to bring a receiver from home up to the cottage and see if that changes
Age doesn't necessarily count. I recently had to replace a CAT6 cable made from a new 1,000' pull box because it had a broken conductor in it.

Hopefully a known working receiver will identify the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts