DVR 622/722 - Phone/Internet Connection

snowburt80

Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I know that I need to have my phone line connected to my DVR, but what if I don't have a phone line, but I do have internet. Can I just hook my internet to the ethernet port on the DVR and then avoid having to pay the extra $5/month?

No, you have to have a broadband router with home networking for it to work. Then you can just hook up the ethernet port to your home network.

No, you have to have a broadband router with home networking for it to work. Then you can just hook up the ethernet port to your home network.

So this works - broadband connection when you don't have a phone line? Is there anything else I need to know - setup configurations? We've finally got rid of our landline and using TMO@home.

Yes, if you have a functioning Ethernet system. If you have the internet on your Ethernet, as the OP said, yes, the ViP series will "phone home" via the internet.

The presumption is that your internet service is provided to a router of some sort, functions 24/7, and the port you plug into is active. Pretty safe assumptions, I think.

You can look at your router to see if the connection is good, and you can delve into the ViP menus to see if the STB "sees" the network.

If you have a dual tuner (or is it dual TV?) receiver, they want to be sure it's where you say it is, and you're not splitting your account among more than one location. They also want to talk back and forth with the box now and then, and they want you to have an easy way to order PPV via your receiver (PPV can also be ordered on the internet and via phone). $5 per affected box, such as the 625.

Yes you are being charged for both the 625 and the 322 Receiver, 10 dollars. If you don't have a phone jack within a couple feet you can buy a wireless phone jack for about 30 bucks at radio shack, it will work as well.

Darrin
Ocala DRS

for real??? why is that
Yes you are being charged for real. The reason is that you have 2 tuners in each and they are not getting money for the second. They will waive it if you hook it to the phone line. As for the broadband, you mentioned a 625 and a 322. Not sure about the 322, but on the 625, there is no ethernet port and so it can't be hooked up to the internet to avoid the fee.

Geoff

It's mainly a "because we can" fee.

The most reasonable explanation I've read is that your receiver sends out technical information that can be used to preemptively diagnose and fix problems. In theory, it makes up for the increased possibility you will have a service call. However, that answer is likely BS.

It's mainly a "because we can" fee.

The most reasonable explanation I've read is that your receiver sends out technical information that can be used to preemptively diagnose and fix problems. In theory, it makes up for the increased possibility you will have a service call. However, that answer is likely BS.
A reason that I have heard (that makes sense to me) is that if you were to get a Set Top Box for each TV with 4 TVs hooked up, you would be charged $15 for "Extra Outlets." By getting Dual Tuner Boxes, they waive $10 of that by hooking it to a phone line (or the internet on some of the newer models). Thus, they are giving a price break for having it hooked up.

We have a 722 and a 625. We pay a $5 Additional Outlet Fee on the 625 (simply because we have more than one box). If the boxes were not hooked to the phone (or net) then we would have to pay that same $5 for the extra 2 tuners.

Geoff

Then it cost you $5 per month for Each Dual tuner receiver.

that's a dish network rip-off..trying to force customers to have a land based phone line essentially. Since when ordering a satellite tv system should have a prerequisite of having a land line phone system? rip-off

Basically they a re trying to ensure that all the receivers ae indeed in the same house---that you a re not sharing your account with others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)