DVR 622/722 - Phone/Internet Connection

A reason that I have heard (that makes sense to me) is that if you were to get a Set Top Box for each TV with 4 TVs hooked up, you would be charged $15 for "Extra Outlets." By getting Dual Tuner Boxes, they waive $10 of that by hooking it to a phone line (or the internet on some of the newer models). Thus, they are giving a price break for having it hooked up.

We have a 722 and a 625. We pay a $5 Additional Outlet Fee on the 625 (simply because we have more than one box). If the boxes were not hooked to the phone (or net) then we would have to pay that same $5 for the extra 2 tuners.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I am trying to make sense of this. So you are saying they waive the fee off if you connet to the phone line. Connecting to t he phone line also ensures that your receiver is where you say it is. Then, how does on some receivers you can connet only ethernet cable and not phone and that is enough? connecting to the internet does not ensure that you are where you say you are, or not.
anyway..I jsut dont; see why connecting to say vonage phone line should be treated any differently then land line.

they will waive it for an etherne t connection. in theory all receivers hooked to the same network would show a common IP address to the worls. having said that a techie could indeed make it look like he was at another

As for Vonage and other VOUIp mproviders some have reported that all was fine witha VOIP line others have had problems.

yes it si. the residential agreement says thay all have to stay continously connected at the same address.

Having said that I don't think they care if you sometimes move 1-2 receivers toa vacation home. but they are trying to stop you from having continous simultaneous service at two or more addresses.

lots of threds on this BTW.

FWIW here is the language in the residential Agreement

F. Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. Unless otherwise specified in the customer agreement(s), if any, applicable to the promotion(s) pursuant to which you are receiving Services and/or Equipment, DISH Network will charge you a monthly additional outlet programming access fee (“Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee”) for each tuner activated on your account beyond the first. If you desire to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to your same land-based telephone line. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.