DVR 625 activation

Tom_T.

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
I'm still in the pre-purchase mode for either a DVR 522 or 625 from a non-retail seller.

Prior to searching this forum, I was under the assumption that if the receiver had "no balance due" to DishNet, it was just a matter of calling customer service to activate.

However, I see one recent poster had a problem getting a 522 activated because it "wasn't a retail unit."

Since the 522 is relatively old as compared to the 625, should I even consider buying a 625 at this time. I don't want to drop a few hundred bucks only to be told they can't activate it because I didn't buy it directly from DishNetwork or one of their retailers.

Anyone here have any experience or advice along this line?

Thanks, SimpleSimon. I'm taking that advice.

Before starting this thread, I did read several posts here about DishNet refusing to activate "no balance due" 522's purchased from individuals. Apparently it's been only during the past month or so that they starting activating these receivers purchased outside their system -- and then it still might take a few calls to customer service before you get someone who knows the new policy.

When I called customer service about a 625, I was told they wouldn't sell me one because its part of the promo package deal only for new subscribers, and, as a 4-year DishNet customer, I definitely wasn't eligible for the promo or to even buy one from them. I didn't ask about leasing, but, from what I've read, the up-front cost is about as much as buying a 625 from an online seller -- and then there's a better than good chance DishNet will refuse to activate a 625 purchased online.

Not like the old days when I had a 10' dish out back and programming service providers didn't care what equipment you had or who you bought it from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)