DVR Add-on Questions

brgmgb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
Indiana
I was told that I could get an add-on for the DVR that would allow me to record local OTA programming on the DVR. I went to the Dish site and found this:
Add Local OTA Channels with an Antenna

You can add local over the air channels to your DVR when you have a OTA antenna add-on. Many DVRs come with a coaxial input that allows you to connect an OTA antenna; however, some models do not. In these cases, you will need to purchase a small part that can be attached to the back of your receiver. This input will allow you to connect an OTA antenna to receive your local channels. The receiver can tune digital signals, so no converter box is needed. It’s even possible to get them in high definition! You can also record these channels, so it’s a great option if your area cannot receive local channels from DISH Network.
There doesn't seem to be any progress in the Fort Wayne Fox programming problem. This seems to be a good option that would allow me to record football games when I'm not home.

Is this option limited to the same receivers that can accept an external hard drive (Solo DVR ViP 612, the DuoDVR ViP 622 and the DuoDVR 722 HD receivers per site for hard drive)?

Probably means we'd have to upgrade to HD service - which they tell me will cost close to $300. You'd think after being a customer for seven years you'd get a free upgrade if you sign a new contract.

The 612, 622 and 722 DVR receivers all have ONE built-in OTA tuner and can not be modified beyond that. The 922 and 722K do not come with one built-in, but you can purchase the OTA module for TWO OTA tuners, in addition to the two sat tuners. Regarding upgrade, PM one of the DIRT members here and see what they can do for you. You can find the ones "on duty" at the bottom of the Forum page, in red.

Last edited:
i'm actually looking to confirm something regarding the OTA.
With a receiver (maybe the 722k) record 2 sat channels and 2 OTA channels all at the same time ?
I've seen posts that some have gotten this to work, and confirming this would make me signup with dish today (through satguys sponsor of course).

i'm actually looking to confirm something regarding the OTA.
With a receiver (maybe the 722k) record 2 sat channels and 2 OTA channels all at the same time ?
I've seen posts that some have gotten this to work, and confirming this would make me signup with dish today (through satguys sponsor of course).

yes, plus watch something that you have previously recorded, at the same time.

And it seems that if there are locals in your area that are not picked up by Dish ... when the installer does the installation, they can add the MT2 then and there and possibly no charge if you're already using an antenna..

Read the notes on a recent uptraining .. telling installers they don't have to put the unit on reports like before and can simply submit for reimbursement ... even if you can't get it for free.. 30 to 40 bucks at Dish Store (partner links at the top of the forum) is a GREAT price to add two more channels.

I've just recently started moving some of my FOX timers over .... and now that the new seasons are starting on prime time.. its allowing me to capture additional TV programing that I had to get in other ways (if I really wanted it that bad of course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts