DVR and Dish Network

singhmaster

Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Hey All,

I have dish network and was considering purchasing a Digital Video Recorder with a hard drive so that I could record stuff and pause live television. Essentially, I'm just concerned with presetting shows to record on various channels. Is it possible to use ANY OTHER DVR (not TIVO or DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICe, but just a basic DVR) for this purpose? The equipment by DISh Network is pretty expensive and I'd rather just take care of it myself. Let me know.
Thanks for all your help.

singhmaster said:
The equipment by DISh Network is pretty expensive and I'd rather just take care of it myself.

Not sure if you really meant the "monthly DVR fee", but you could try e-bay for one of the older DVR's that DON'T require a monthly fee. Your choices are the 501 or 508 single tuner units, or the 721, which is the only fee-free dual tuner DVR they made. You might be surprised by how cheap the single tuner units are now... ;)

singhmaster said:
Hey All,

I have dish network and was considering purchasing a Digital Video Recorder with a hard drive so that I could record stuff and pause live television. Essentially, I'm just concerned with presetting shows to record on various channels. Is it possible to use ANY OTHER DVR (not TIVO or DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICe, but just a basic DVR) for this purpose? The equipment by DISh Network is pretty expensive and I'd rather just take care of it myself. Let me know.
Thanks for all your help.

You should be able to get the dish n it up promo and pay little or nothing for a dvr.

I think the OP was referring to a "stand-alone" 3rd party DVR, like a Panasonic,
Sony, or Phillips. Usually these DVR's have an "IRD Blaster" which will change the
channel on the Satellite Rcvr or Cable Digital set-top box, when required by the
programmed event. Many of these units however, require a feed from the
TV-Guide channel to get their programming info, and that usually done through a
cable-tv system. This is a "free" service, no monthly fees required.
You can, however, always manually program events into the DVR, and it
will record from whatever satellite dish channel you are wanting, by using the IRD
Blaster. Or, I guess if the blaster does not work for your receiver, you can set a
timer-event on the Satellite receiver to match the event on the DVR for recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)