DVR Blowout 501/508

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I haven't seen this posted but Dish Network is offering "refurbished" DVR receivers for $149.00. It doesn't really say if it's a 501 or a 508.

"Current customers: Get DVR technology at DISH Network Blow-Out prices!
Upgrade to the only Digital Video Recorder in the industry that doesn’t charge monthly DVR service fees – a savings of $4.98 per month or almost $60 each year! With our Like New DVR Blow-Out, purchase a rigorously-tested, remanufactured DVR that includes a 1-year warranty for as low as $149. Call today or visit an authorized retailer to get complete pricing and installation details for available models!"

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml#here

I will never buy a 522, those receivers are junk. I was offered one at sign-up and declined it. I bought a 501 off eBay for $120.00.

It's interesting that I've seen threads where people have their 501s or 508s go bad and Dish offers them a 510 as a replacement, telling them that the 501s and 508s are no longer available yet they are still offering them on their web site. :shocked

My 2 522s have been working fine since late last year. I replaced one right after getting it, but I haven't had a problem since. :)

It grates on my to pay the DVR fee when I no longer have Dish programming (SkyAngel only), but I like the capacity and dual tuners.

Brad

I got two 522's and its the only DVR other than the DishPlayer 7100/7200 in which I have had no hardware issues with.

Maybe I should eat my words then. After researching both forums, I was under the impression that the 522 was the worst receiver from Dish. Most of the problems with DVRs receivers posted on both forums are with the 522s, thus my comment of "junk receivers". I guess there are some good ones out there. :cool:

There is a difference with software issues and hardware issues. Software issues gives you an unpleasant experience with using the receiver but a hardware receiver is when it fails completely.

andrews777 said:
My 2 522s have been working fine since late last year. I replaced one right after getting it, but I haven't had a problem since. :) Brad
You aren't experiencing any audio drops on records events??? My 522 was working fine previous to the last S/W update. :down

RandallA said:
Maybe I should eat my words then. After researching both forums, I was under the impression that the 522 was the worst receiver from Dish. Most of the problems with DVRs receivers posted on both forums are with the 522s, thus my comment of "junk receivers". I guess there are some good ones out there. :cool:

They were bad when they first came out but are not too bad now. :) If your going to get a 522, I would suggest payiing a few more bucks and getting a 625.

Can anybody tell me what info is required to pick one of these up?

The reason I ask is this- I live in one of the far northern states (North of Montana) ;) so I was hoping I could get a friend in the US to pick one up, ship it up to me, then I can call Dish to activate it. I know with Bell up here you have to show ID when you buy a receiver. Is there anything similar in the US?

Also, with Bell I can add an additional receiver online. From what I can see, my Dish Network online account doesn't seem to have that option. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks everybody!

RandallA said:
I will never buy a 522, those receivers are junk. I was offered one at sign-up and declined it. I bought a 501 off eBay for $120.00.

It's interesting that I've seen threads where people have their 501s or 508s go bad and Dish offers them a 510 as a replacement, telling them that the 501s and 508s are no longer available yet they are still offering them on their web site. :shocked
I just had to replace my 508 because the phone line was bad, and they refused to send me a 510 without me paying $50. I already have a 510 and an 811, so I wanted another 510. Nope. Not gonna happen. They sent me another 508.

bpickell said:
If I were to purchase a new in box 522 off of ebay would it still contain the mfg warranty?

Depends on if your buying it from a dish network certified retailer/dealer or joe schmoe.

I rarely replace 522/625 recievers due to failure of any kind, I think that this year so far Ive replaced maybe 4 since january and had 3 that were B.O.B.

ken0042 said:
through Dish or a retailer like www.dishstore.net?
Dish needs to ship to the physical location on the account. Dishstore should be able to ship anywhere

The reason I ask is this- I live in one of the far northern states (North of Montana) ;) so I was hoping I could get a friend in the US to pick one up, ship it up to me, then I can call Dish to activate it. I know with Bell up here you have to show ID when you buy a receiver. Is there anything similar in the US?
no. You can buy it from a retailer with no ID. If you buy it from Dish, they'll just bill your CC

Also, with Bell I can add an additional receiver online. From what I can see, my Dish Network online account doesn't seem to have that option. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks everybody!
can't do that...have to call in.

No ID needed

ken0042 said:

Thanks everybody!

You can buy one online, get it gift-wrapped, and get it shipped to you in Canada. The US is a free country. We don't have to get permission from the government to watch TV. Only from corporations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)