DVR could change VOOM Originals

agregjones

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
As a former DTivo subscriber, I miss the DVR functionality. Particularly, I miss the dual tuner capability I had before. But more and more, I am noticing I miss the variety of programming on the other channels that is lacking on the VOOM Originals. I am hoping, more than anything, that the DVR functionality will change the way VOOM schedules programming.

Right now, the same two to three movies and specials cycle on these all day. As it stands, most people wouldn't notice if they were catching mostly primetime viewing. With a DVR, though, the whole day becomes primetime. I am hoping with the introduction of the DVR that VOOM takes the opportunity to bulk up their scheduling a bit more. They could get away with showing the same number of programs but having much better response.

I am sure there will always be ten channels of Cinema10, but a number of the others could be condensed into non-repetitive content. DVR allows someone to pick up the shows they want to see without being tied to the broadcast schedule. This could very well be the great leap forward for VOOM.

With the barker, the schedule for a week in advance could be plugged for all the originals. I'd love a very Tivo-like interface for searching shows but don't expect one. Given some usable way of scheduling the recordings, the catalog of VOOM movies and specials could be extremely good viewing.

Equator, Rush and WorldSport could be combined into one channel under a DVR system. So could Ultra, Auction, Gallery and MooV. InVoom should be a series of scheduled shows (labeled as 30 minute time blocks, etc.) so they can be picked up by the DVR to preview all of the VOOM content (record each new episode, hoping they provide correct episode numbers). A barker for non-VOOM-original HD shows would be nice to provide the info for HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. All of these barker shows could be on 999 and not hurt any programming. Tivo had a feature that let you schedule the program during the barker with one click. This would be priceless with the numerous programming options on VOOM.

With DVR (especially dual), the schedule can be more stacked without losing the benefits of the number of programs VOOM has in their library. Put new or homerun programming in primetime. Put the less popular in increasingly unattractive timeslots. For a DVR customer, it doesn't matter if the show comes on at 4am, because they can watch it when they want. Non-DVR customers would be happier with the more traditional primetime scheduling scheme. There is enough programming weekly on the VOOM originals to make good viewing, we just need it structured in a way that is more helpful to us. DVR could make the originals 10x more useful for the average viewer without negatively impacting those that would choose not to get the DVR. VOOM has an excellent opportunity to make this work, owning the original channels and controlling the DVR functionality. This could make everyone happier with the programming they receive.

This is way some of us are wanting Voom to combined the cinema channels down to 5 and other channel combining. Also this will free up some more bandwidth.

jimmykce1 said:
This is way some of us are wanting Voom to combined the cinema channels down to 5 and other channel combining. Also this will free up some more bandwidth.

Voom shouldn't reduce the number of HD channels there are already people complaining that we don't have 39 HD channels. But I do think that they should keep making this channels genre specific, and keep the rotation a little more varied.

I don't want the number of overall channels reduced, but I see no need to have three channels where there is only enough programming for one. If several of the sets of channels I mentioned had more programming, it would make sense to keep them separate. For now, some just don't have enough critical mass to make it. Equator and Rush could easily combine to make a more technical/gadgety network, showing cars and new electronics, for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)