dvr drive on a computer

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Buddy of mine has a dvr drive in an external usb hd case and is trying to get it to work with his computer but it he is having problems getting his comp to recognize the drive, has anyone else tried to get one of these drives to work and how did you get it to function?

Is he trying to get the DVR data off the drive or is he just trying to use it like another external hard drive? If he's trying to get the DVR data off the drive he'll need a few tools to do that and he should pay a visit to the yahoo groups to get the relevant information. If he's just trying to use it like another hard drive and doesn't care about losing the DVR data then he might need to use the disk management tools (if he's running Windows 2000/XP) or fdisk (Windows 95/98) and delete the partitions on the disk and then reformat it.

He's just trying to use it, for some reason if Im understanding him the hardware wizard see's the drive but it wont show up in his my computer window, I'll have to get more info from him when he calls later.

I think he will need to re-format it.

Van said:
He's just trying to use it, for some reason if Im understanding him the hardware wizard see's the drive but it wont show up in his my computer window, I'll have to get more info from him when he calls later.

Well the PC recognizes the drive but it doesn't recognize the filesystem which isn't surprising considering that DISH uses a proprietary one on their 50x series and a linux filesystem (probably ext2) on their other DVRS. He's going to need to repartition and reformat the disk in order to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)