DVR Fee Waived on Annual Programming?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Is the DVR Fee waived on annual programming? The reason I ask is that I renewed at the AT180 package instead of AEP (I had AT180 annual and the four movie packages annually previously equalling AEP which waived the DVR fees). The guy said that there are no DVR fees if you pay annually. Is this true? I have two DVR fees that apply and that would equal $12 monthly. I can get DirecTv for cheaper if Dish is going to charge me a DVR fee per receiver even if I got the annual package. I could pay monthly and still pay less if I took their dual tuner DVR's. I know they only have one tv output but thats all we use the 522's for anyways is just one tv each.

First I've heard of it with Top180 only. But you never know.

I currently have a leasted 522 and AT180 with no movie packages. I am charged both a lease fee and a DVR fee.

Stargazer said:
Is the DVR Fee waived on annual programming? The reason I ask is that I renewed at the AT180 package instead of AEP (I had AT180 annual and the four movie packages annually previously equalling AEP which waived the DVR fees). The guy said that there are no DVR fees if you pay annually. Is this true? I have two DVR fees that apply and that would equal $12 monthly. I can get DirecTv for cheaper if Dish is going to charge me a DVR fee per receiver even if I got the annual package. I could pay monthly and still pay less if I took their dual tuner DVR's. I know they only have one tv output but thats all we use the 522's for anyways is just one tv each.

grecni said:
I currently have a leasted 522 and AT180 with no movie packages. I am charged both a lease fee and a DVR fee.
You didn't say whether you pay annually or not...

If they charge me a DVR fee I may be dropping Dish. I told the CSR to make notes on my account. They are just going to have to eat the DVR fee's this year to keep me. I am so sick of the misinformation. They need to inform their CSR's better. It will be cheaper for me to go to DirecTv if I have to pay multiple DVR fees. I am sure they would love to have me as a customer. I can sell my Dish hardware and make money by switching. I have just been holding out for some great new MPEG-4 HD DVR offers before doing so.

I keep asking this question about the new HD packs on whether or not there will be annual pricing. Paying annually is cheaper than the AEP pack which is only available monthly. Are DVR fees waived if you get all 4 movie packages annually. Currently I have the Top180 and also HBO/Showtime on an annual package. I am charged a DVR fee. But I only have one DVR and this comes out cheaper. I don't have a desire to have Cinemax or Starz until the HD versions are available.

Big_Ed said:
I didn't realize annual billing was an option. Is programming discounted if you pay this way?
If you pay annually, you get one month free. So this can be a cheaper option than the AEP which is only available monthly.

I'm subscribed to the Top 180, and for the past few years I've been taking advantage of the 1-month discount by making one annual payment.

However, this is news to me that the $5 monthly dvr fee should also be waived with an annual payment for my programming subscription. The CSR never mentioned this to me when I called to activate my 522. (I own -- not lease -- my receiver, if that makes any difference.)

So, even with an annual payment for programming, I've been paying $5/month for the 522 ever since I got it.

Is this fee waiver carved in rock, or, does it depend on which CSR one speaks with, or, this some Dish on-again off-again policy, or is it just wishful thinking?

Before I take this up with a CSR, or bump it up to the next level, I'd like to know I'm on firm ground.

Tom_T. said:
However, this is news to me that the $5 monthly dvr fee should also be waived with an annual payment for my programming subscription. The CSR never mentioned this to me when I called to activate my 522. (I own -- not lease -- my receiver, if that makes any difference.)
If all you have is the Top 180, you should be paying the DVR fee. The question raised here was if you also subscribe to all the movie channels on an annual basis, would the fee be waived? That should be similar to the AEP but I don't know if they offer all 4 movie channels on an annual basis. I only have HBO and Showtime. And I also pay the DVR fee.

Thanks for the response & setting me straight. :eek:

I focused in on the title "DVR Fee Waived on Annual Programming" and saw AT180 mentioned a few times. I missed the references to also subscribing to all the movie channels.

I know that they have been waiving the DVR fees when I had AT180 with all four movie channels annually. They said it was equal to AEP so they waived the DVR fees. The gentleman told me that annual programming does not have DVR fee's is what he told me and that they were waived. This was after I downgraded to AT180 only. They either wave it or give me my annual money back and I will go to DirecTv. As simple as that. I'm not screwing with these lies being told one thing then another for much longer. If I am told something then they will have to hold their word to it.

I have Top 180 annually and all 4 premimum packages monthly and I do get all 6 of my DVR Fees waived!

DISH Networks annual pricing structure makes absolutly no sense at all, since there is no incentive for me to pay all 4 premimum packages annually

Its actually more expensive for me to take all 4 packages annually than it is to buy monthly!

How did you guys figure this stuff out?? I did a search of "annual" through the E* website, and I don't see anything to this effect. Did you have to call the CSRs to figure out where savings can be made?

It would be great if there is a website somewhere that explained all of this....

You're not going find all the pricing options listed anywhere at the Dish site. Even talking to CSRs isn't much help unless you know the right questions to ask.

I found out about the discount for paying annually only after I asked the CSR if it was any less if I paid a year in advance. She didn't offer that to me as a choice.

Maybe Dish has a "If they don't ask, don't tell 'em" policy.

Claude Greiner said:
I have Top 180 annually and all 4 premimum packages monthly and I do get all 6 of my DVR Fees waived!

DISH Networks annual pricing structure makes absolutly no sense at all, since there is no incentive for me to pay all 4 premimum packages annually

Its actually more expensive for me to take all 4 packages annually than it is to buy monthly!

Actually it is cheaper than AEP by a couple bucks, but you have to ask for the Mega Movie Package. If you buy all four movie packages separately they charge more. For some reason they automatically bill all 4 separately instead of automatically putting the MMP as the default. I have gone back and forth between the 2, but just go with AEP since it includes NBA TV. I believe the MMP was $407 last year.

Last edited:
mike123abc said:
Actually it is cheaper than AEP by a couple bucks, but you have to ask for the Mega Movie Package. If you buy all four movie packages separately they charge more. For some reason they automatically bill all 4 separately instead of automatically putting the MMP as the default. I have gone back and forth between the 2, but just go with AEP since it includes NBA TV. I believe the MMP was $407 last year.
Do they waive the DVR fees though if you pay the Top 180 and the mega movie package on an annual basis? I have asked about a way to prepay annually to waive the fees but they say that you can't. Perhaps I didn't ask the right questions.

Long -Term Annual Pre-pay: no DVR Waive LEASED

For what it's worth, I've pre-paid for 6 or more years with Basic 60 or 120 Channel Packages for the "one month free". No DVR or other fees waived ever (I currently lease a 625 and own a no-fee 508. The worst part of pre-pay is that you can't include locals, and thus deal with a bll every month even for basic programming users like myself....but a month free is a month free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)