DVR Fee

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

flyloc2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
When is E* going to get away from the "Per DVR Fee". If I get DVR's in all of my rooms it will be way cheaper to just go with Direct. That could be why they are losing customers along with the non-english speaking CS.

When is E* going to get away from the "Per DVR Fee". If I get DVR's in all of my rooms it will be way cheaper to just go with Direct. That could be why they are losing customers along with the non-english speaking CS.

I think they make too much money from all their silly fees to ever give them up. I'd be tempted to go with 211ks with external hard drives to get away from the monthly fee.

There is no DVR fee with AEP. The $47.84 that saves me every month more than pays for me getting AEP rather than a smaller package.

There is no DVR fee with AEP. The $47.84 that saves me every month more than pays for me getting AEP rather than a smaller package.

But if you add an addtional DVR there is a $5.98 fee. That's just plain greed. Every other service provider charges one DVR fee per account, not E*.

:up Exactly, Not only that, D* still has a Per receiver Fee,

4 dvr's (R22's) 4 rooms is going to cost you $21 per month!
$6 DVR fee,$5x3 Lease fee

2 Dvrs (625) 4 rooms with with E* is at most $12 per month with a DVR atvantage pack. Everything pack $5
2 HD DVRs (722) Still only $14 per month.
Everything pack Its Only $7 in fees

Not true. Brighthouse charges $6.00 for the STB then they charge $10.00 for the DVR feature, so thats $16.00 per DVR :eek:.

Same with Time Warner - and probably every other cable company. If you think about it, a Tivo subscription is pretty reasonable in light of those exorbitant cable DVR fees - even after you throw in the CableCard lease.

This can be a good option for the many power users on this board. I find the cost of the AEP does indeed work out better for me, as well, but I would have to have AEP anyway. Most people would find that for just a few bucks more, they will get a lot of channels in return and lose the DVR fee. In other words, they would be really getting something in return for the money instead of a sort of NOTHING with just the several DVR fees. Each person has to crunch their own numbers It is usually the better value. Now, if someone is at the bottom tier . . . that is another story.

But if you add an addtional DVR there is a $5.98 fee. That's just plain greed. Every other service provider charges one DVR fee per account, not E*.

Subscription the AEP waives ALL DVR fees on all the DVR's on your account. That is what makes it a very good value. In other words, if you subscribe to AEP, you can have all 6 of your boxes DVR's and not be charged ANY DVR fees.

Every company does things their own way, and if you find Dish's pricing/fees policy so offensive, then you need to vote with your wallet and go someplace else where you will be happy. That is the ONLY way Dish or any company is ever going to even consider revising their fees structure. If you choose to just complain and still stay with Dish, then Dish has guessed correctly and figure that you value Dish Network service more than you think and are willing to put up with the DVR fees. So, you have proven Dish correct with their decision to implement their terrible (I don't like the structure either, the box fees add up to a lot of $$ on the bill) fees. This is why people who aren't happy must leave and tell Dish why they are leaving, otherwise, no change.

On the other hand, with the exception of Direct TV, all the other providers--cable, et al.--all charge DVR fees at least twice and three times (FiOS is four times) as much as Dish for a single DVR. So, one of FiOS top DVR's for about $20 per month, or four 612's from Dish for around $20 per month. Each person will have to make their decision which is the better value and meets their needs.

Last edited:
I used to pay $25-30 in additional fees but got that cost down but when they raise your bill annually they get you that way. The additional outlet fees being waived makes up for the DVR fees unless you use the dual tuner receivers for a one room solution instead of two like I do then it does not save you anything. If the hardware / software was not better then I would have already switched to get DirecTv's promotion and I am sure many others feel the same way.

I just noticed this blurb on the E* website:

"Monthly DVR Service Fee of $5.98 applies for all DVR receivers"

I noticed it doesn't say each. So the DVR fee now applies to all DVR receivers on your account??? Anybody have a clue?

Monthly DVR Service Fee of $5.98 applies for all DVR receivers
They certainly phrased that lousily. ;) Probably they meant that it applies to all DVR receiver types, both SD and HD, single- and dual-tuner.

I just noticed this blurb on the E* website:

"Monthly DVR Service Fee of $5.98 applies for all DVR receivers"
Exceptions are:

The first DVR fee is bundled in with the Dish DVR Advantage price.

All DVR fees are waived with AEP.

(Since both are true, then DDA and AEP cannot be combined.)

So the DVR fee now applies to all DVR receivers on your account??? Anybody have a clue?

!sadroll​

My daughter has Cox cable and their dvr fee is $10 per month. HD is (FREE), but their cables rates make them higher than Dish even with all the fees. She pays $70 per month for basic digital cable with a plain box. To add a dvr would cost her $100 per month after all the add ons. I have a 722 and 211dvr with the HD Absolute with locals, with HBO, Starz and .01Max for $70 per month. I got all the channels that I watch.

The thing that really gets me about the DVR fee is that, IIRC, in the beginning it was to cover the cost of offering on demand programming. The only problem is that most on demand programming worth anything now costs $$$ and the "free" stuff isn't worth the time to download it.

Exceptions are:

The first DVR fee is bundled in with the Dish DVR Advantage price.

All DVR fees are waived with AEP.

(Since both are true, then DDA and AEP cannot be combined.)

!sadroll​
There are also exceptions for the 501 and 508 DVRs. I have one of each and pay no DVR fees! In the years that I have owned them they have MORE than paid for themselves.

I guess E* probably doesn't know the true answer to this one. I don't want to all a CSR because I might get the wrong answer. You guys here are 10 times smarter than they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts