DVR Folders

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Can you set up folders that you cantransfer items into? I know if you record multiple shows from the same series they will go into one folder. What about movies? Instead of 10 or 20 movies showing up in your DVR how about one folder to put them in. Any chance? Thanks

You can specify folders but there are only about 5 user ones. The shows stack by title name if that is turned on. The other choice is no folders. The user folder only show if you select Green button "My Folders" with everything else put in "No Folders". Not very useful.
-Ken

Mostly I want a folder named "Movies" so all can be put there and not make the the DVR look cluttered. This should be an easy software upgrade on Dish's part. A no-brainer!

Lets say you display Green button "My Folders" you get PTAT, Rentals, No Folder, Your Movies, DELETED RECORDINGS, and up to 4 or so more.
Selecting one of those gets you the No Folders view of that set. Not gathered by titles or anything. Doing it by Genre does give a Movies folder along with the others and Education, Family/Kids, Music/Arts, News/Business, Series/Specials, and others but not your folders. That might suffice without creating a My Folder. Don't expect nesting of folders. Just what I see.
-Ken

Sure. I have a few I made on my equipment over the years and also on the Hopper. You can only make 5 and no subfolders are allowed. So, you can edit an existing recording and create your Movies folder (only need to do that once) then move the recording to it. Also, you can create a timer, edit it then set the folder to your Movies or whatever you have created.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As I said you do not need to create a folder for Movies as you can use the Folders By Genre. Now if you want to separate adult and children movies, then you will have to create them and either set the timers to send them appropriately or do it event by event.

As I keep almost all events except daily ones like news on EHDs, I guess this does not help me much.
-Ken

As I said you do not need to create a folder for Movies as you can use the Folders By Genre. Now if you want to separate adult and children movies, then you will have to create them and either set the timers to send them appropriately or do it event by event.

As I keep almost all events except daily ones like news on EHDs, I guess this does not help me much.
-Ken

Correct, but for me simplicity is best. I hate switching back and forth among the green button options just to sort listings. Again, for me I live with keeping My Folders as my default and have a Movies, Concerts, and a few others where I put the recordings. Now, if DISH can get with it and group the shows into at least a list within the folders to keep from having to scroll through tons of similar show icons for different recordings that would be a big help. Like they do for other green button views. Different ways to get to the same destination.

Considering Dish already provides a list of recordings by pre-set genres, one of those being MOVIES, Dish probably feels they have that covered. From their point of view they would say to use the pre-defined default Folders by Genres view. If a program is NOT News/Business, Sports, Movies, Education, or Music/Arts, then all you have to do is select the Series/Special folder to see all the remaining programs, and that is the bulk of the programming on Dish. That will effectively achieve what you want with minimum fuss and WITHOUT REDUNDANCY. However, you're perfectly free to use one of your 5 allotted Custom Folders as you own "generic" catch all folder that would not include MOVIES.

Create your Custom "My TV Shows" folder. Now, each time you create a timer, set the timers to automatically send the show to "My TV Shows" Folder. For movies, don't select a folder to send it to when creating the timer. Further, don't bother with making a Custom MOVIES folder because they are already organized in the Folders by Genres view and have their own folder there automatically and will display only movies in that folder. This takes the place of having to create a Custom MOVIES folder. Dish already does that for you automatically from the Folders by Genre selection. If you forget to set the timer to send the show to your custom folder, you can move it from any of the other Folder views to your custom folder. At least that's what I would do and it would seem to achieve exactly what I thing your trying to do.

Considering Dish already provides a list of recordings by pre-set genres, one of those being MOVIES, Dish probably feels they have that covered. From their point of view they would say to use the pre-defined default Folders by Genres view. If a program is NOT News/Business, Sports, Movies, Education, or Music/Arts, then all you have to do is select the Series/Special folder to see all the remaining programs, and that is the bulk of the programming on Dish.

But when you select "folders by genre", it un-does the stacking of episodes of a series because that's apparently considered "folders by title".

COME ON DISH, FIX YOUR COMPLETELY USELESS FOLDER SYSTEM!

I would think it would go without saying, but what SHOULD happen is that if you set up custom folders, they should automatically appear within the default (folders by title) view. You SHOULDN'T have to sacrifice folders by title by selecting "custom folders" which lumps everything else into a "no folders" folder.

DishSubLA, I think that's what I said. Well, sometimes I follow you but more often keep quiet about your good advice.
-Ken

Yeah, I later thought about it and you did say that and the OP wants something else. Thanks. U know of what you speak, as well

I would rather have Dish fix it so that when we delete a recording or just want to "back out" of a recording, that we be taken back to th list of episodes for that folder by title recordings instead of being booted all the way back to the full liat of all shows.

It would help even more on the EHD if on exiting a recording you were placed back were you entered it.
The EHD exit is ungraceful because to get back there you have to reselect the device from the DVR menu,
find the title, and then remember the episode.
With a number of collected shows having 100 to 200 episodes, it is a real pain.

I have another EHD problem. When I pause it, it will not play again--it shows a slashed red dot.
I guess that is the symbol for no record while playing. Is it just mine or true for all HwS?
This never happened on the H2000. The way out is to skip back and then it will play.
Dish has a few line of code written incorrectly, somewhere.

Another complaint is the lack of a start-over button on exiting a recording.
It is too slow to rewind and re-finding the recording is a lot steps with many episodes, especially on the EHD.
But at least on Hopper you can back into the recording after exiting--you couldn't on the VIP using an EHD.
-Ken

The EHD pause bug on my HWS seems to have suddenly disappeared a few weeks ago. I say suddenly because it does NOT appear that a software upgrade happened! So I'm clueless as to what's going on there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)