DVR on 2nd TV w/ 622???

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
Does the 622 give you DVR options for the 2nd TV? I know that it will give you HD and DVR features to TV1, but wasnt sure about what features you get on TV2. I know it will only be SD to TV2, but will I also get DVR functionality?

Also, can I use this receiver if I only have 1 RG6 cable going to each TV location. I currently have a Dish 500 Satellite w/ 2 LNBs. 2 cables come inside from the satellite dish to a central location, from here I have RG6 cables going to each room. I currently use female-to-female barrels to patch these 2 runs through to 2 TVs (one 311 and one 811). Thanks in advance for all the info.

mcbride

Don't confuse outputs with tuners. 622 has two HD outputs, hdmi and components. But since they are both connected to tv1, same channel viewed on both. Tv2 has composite (rca) outputs, when in dual mode one tuner is available (along with all dvr recordings form all tuners). There is a RF Modulator (coax) which you can connect your existing RG6 cableing to. You set two seperate channel numbers to it. They can be any channel number between 21-69 (but tv2 has to be different than tv1). Tv1 gives one complete satelight tuner - sd and HD, plus any OTA if you hook that up. Tv2 gives you one complete satelight tuner - sd and HD. Any tv set up on RG6 out of the RF Modulator will have access to both tv1 and tv2 tuners - sd and HD, plus OTA on tv1 (if hooked up) plus all DVR functions. All channels are downconverted to sd.

If I get this 622 and use it in dual mode (2 separate tvs) will I have DVR functionality (record, rewind, etc) on both TVs or just on the main TV1? I'd be using the HD output for TV1 and I guess I'd be using RG6 to go out of the 622 back to the 2nd TV. Although, I only have 1 RG6 cable at each location and it is not going to be possible to add a second RG6 cable for this return feed to TV2. Can this all be done on the singe RG6 cable coming to the 622 with some special equipment?

garys said:
... You set two seperate channel numbers to it. They can be any channel number between 21-69 (but tv2 has to be different than tv1). Tv1 gives one complete satelight tuner - sd and HD, plus any OTA if you hook that up. Tv2 gives you one complete satelight tuner - sd and HD. Any tv set up on RG6 out of the RF Modulator will have access to both tv1 and tv2 tuners - sd and HD, plus OTA on tv1 (if hooked up) plus all DVR functions. All channels are downconverted to sd.

I am not disagreeing, just questioning. :)

I am looking at the two page "Quick Facts" Sheet for the ViP622 DVR. It indicates that with the Shared Agile Modulator TV2 viewers can tune to a specific channel to watch TV1's programming in addition to the TV2 programming. It makes no mention of viewing OTA programing.

Last edited:
SaltiDawg said:
I am not disagreeing, just questioning. :)

I am looking at the two page "Quick Facts" Sheet for the ViP622 DVR. It indicates that with the Shared Agile Modulator TV2 viewers can tune to a specific channel to watch TV1's programming in addition to the TV2 programming. It makes no mention of viewing OTA programing.

Single user mode: Yes, all outputs have OTA.
Dual user mode: Tv1 will have OTA tv2 will not have OTA. However if you set OTA channel to record on tv1, dvr recording is available on tv2.

Note: using the shared agile modulator (which is the RF output) carries both tv1 and tv2 as outputs in one cable. You would have everything available from tv1 output, in which case you will have OTA.

(I know you did not ask for all this, I'm sure someone would if I didn't answer this way.)

asmcbride said:
If I get this 622 and use it in dual mode (2 separate tvs) will I have DVR functionality (record, rewind, etc) on both TVs or just on the main TV1? I'd be using the HD output for TV1 and I guess I'd be using RG6 to go out of the 622 back to the 2nd TV. Although, I only have 1 RG6 cable at each location and it is not going to be possible to add a second RG6 cable for this return feed to TV2. Can this all be done on the singe RG6 cable coming to the 622 with some special equipment?

DVR function are available on all outputs, so yes you will have dvr on tv2. There is only one modulated output (the RG6 cable). Both tv1 and tv2 are carried on this one cable and you change from tv1 to tv2 by changing the channel number selected for each tuner on the specific tv sets.

In other words, you run one cable to tv in living room, split it off and continue cable run to tv in kitchen. Tv in living room can view tv1 or tv2 while kitchen tv can view tv1 or tv2. One wire but both tuners. No special equipment - standard spltter.

Just remember:

Inputs:
2 satellite HD capable tuners and 1 OTA digital (ATSC) tuner. No OTA analog (NTSC) tuner.

Outputs:
TV1: HD & SD
TV2: SD

TV1 output wiring options include HDMI, component, composite and S-video, all of which are active at the same time.
TV2 output wiring is limited to one composite output.
BUT- there is the "Shared MTS Stereo Agile modulated output, (which) sends TV1 & TV2 signals out on 1 RF port on 2 different channels." These are Scott's words, from post #1 of this thread. So you can run a coax out from the ViP622 to another TV and watch either the channel output on TV1 or the channel output on TV2. There is a way of backfeeding over existing coax, but this has been discussed in other threads and can get complicated.

I think the 1st part of the original question was will the DVR functions work for the 2nd tv. It's really an interresting question - at least to me.

In other words, since the 2nd TV can receive the signal from either tuner # 1 or # 2 by switching channels, can the person at that 2nd tv location also have access to the dvr functions on either or both of those channels?

Yes, yes, yes. For the last time DVR functions in both modes, and on both tv's while in dual mode. Thought this was covered and recovered and recovered. Why would E* charge for second dvr fee when not hooked up via phone line if dual tuners did not offer that functionality.

Well, actually, there is no "second DVR fee" - it's a second tuner fee. :cool:

But "for the last time" (ya, right):

TUNERS AND OUTPUTS ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

I have a question, in Dual mode, can I record program 1 and watch program 2 on Tv1? I read somwhere in posts that I can record two programs and watch another live program or is this wrong? Can someone give a quick reference guide on what you can do with Dual or single mode on the 622 or point to a link or thread that shows this. thanks

elloco07 said:
I have a question, in Dual mode, can I record program 1 and watch program 2 on Tv1? I read somwhere in posts that I can record two programs and watch another live program or is this wrong? Can someone give a quick reference guide on what you can do with Dual or single mode on the 622 or point to a link or thread that shows this. thanks

There are two tuners from E* birds, there is a third OTA only tuner. In dual mode, yes you can record a program and watch a live program at same time (recording program would have to be on tuner 2). If you have OTA (some people will not either due to area they live or by choice), then yes you can record two programs and watch third one live. There should be plenty of threads as I understand the 942 has the same dvr functions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)