DVR playback over ethernet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Chuck14

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I searched and couldn't find anything definitive. There has been talk (hope?) for a long time that multiple receivers in one house could be able to play back content stored on another's hard drive (e.g. a 211 could play content recorded on a 622's hard drive). Has there been any word lately on whether or not this is actually going to happen?

I believe you are talking about the external hard drive. Should be available very soon on the 211, no word as to the exact date when it will be working.
I remember many months ago a report that the 211 EHD would not be compatible with the 622/722. I have no idea if this has changed or was even true to begin with. Maybe someone else knows.

Actually, I think he meant what he said when talking about connecting them all via Ethernet. I remember hearing some discussion about this somewhere, with the DVR acting as a pseudo "Sling box" (and no, I'm not talking about the 722S) for recorded programs (on the internal hard drive) and the 211 being able to access them. Other than "this would be nice to have" I have neither read, nor heard, anything from a reliable source that this will become a possibility.

it seems like i heard D* has this feature, but I am not sure (to share content between DVR's). Would be awesome to have this feature though (don't care about slingbox, but sharing content between receivers would be awesome)

I was actually asking about home networking using the ethernet port on the ViP-series receivers, not external (USB) hard drives.

Dish is working on this. The technology is called DLNA. It allows devices to be either servers or clients and stream video over an ethernet network.

Apparently, all ViP boxes will get this technology once the software is ready to roll out.

It's vendor-neutral, so a ViP box would be able to stream video to a Playstation 3 client (for example). It's supposed to be HD-video compatible, but it's an open question whether the typical home network can handle the bandwidth. My guess is that you'd need Cat-6 cable to be sure it will work.

Here's a video where they demonstrate this technology using either a modified 222 or a totally new box that they also call a 222. Please note that Scott says we won't see it until next year.

Among these pictures taken at CES are a couple that explain DLNA.

Here's the home page for the DLNA Alliance.

You can also search these forums for "DLNA" for more information.

Considering that MPEG4 HD is only using 15Mbs on a good day (and I mean a really good day.. mostly much lower anymore.. :( ), I imagine a 100Mbs network will have no problem streaming between receivers..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)