DVR program transfer

Mark Helm

Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Indianola, NE
Is there a way to transfer saved programs that are on my DVR to my laptop hard drive? I drive a truck all over the United States and it is hard to find an internet connection that does not cost you an arm and a leg to use them if you can find them. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Unfortunately the programs are not transferable to a PC hard drive. When moved to an external HDD the disk is formatted to Linux Ext3 and the programs are encrypted to prevent piracy.

What you would need is a dvd recorder. Then you could burn the video to a dvd. The bad news is that it is that you have to play the recording in real time to burn it and it is in composite video/audio.

Why not get a Hopper with Sling so you have the ability to transfer your recordings to a tablet and watch them anytime you want. You'd also have the ability to watch live TV in locations where you have access to decent internet or even LTE service.

Reactions: rockymtnhigh
I know my Iphone is 128 GB, so assuming each recording is 3 GB(most I find to be about 2.41GB but just to over guess it), I can fit just over 40....

Well, that was just a rough number... I put on 26 days of music on there, and only have one transffered movies for when im SOL.... I may put a couple more for the flight to NC in a couple week. Maybe a couple Modern Marvels. Either way, that should be plenty, for most situations, even if it was just 20 movies or 40 shows.

Dish anywhere transfer will only use native memory, NOT sd card(ext), so you are limited to the size of native memory...
Actually I would think no limit? Get an Android Tablet that uses an SD card, Transfer as many shows as you want/can fit on it using any number of file explorer apps. When you want to watch them it takes seconds to transfer them to the main device.

I do this with movies.

I have a Kindle HDX (would have to do HDX, won't work on HD). I usually have about 8 movies at a time with the 32GB version. If you are on the road for a long length of time, you may want a 64GB or 128GB. Ipad, Kindle and many android devices work the best. Do you research before you get one to make sure that it can transfer from the hopper.

I don't know why nobody ever mentions them, but look into one of Hauppauge's PVR's. They record directly to a pc in real time and you can find them on Amazon. Very nice devices for not too much money. And unlike a dvd recorder, they allow you to capture in HD.

Can't transfer to SD cards currently.

I don't have a Hopper so there may well be something I don't know about the process but I can put any file at all, anything I want on the SD card by doing exactly what you would do with a computer. Cut/Paste. When I want to watch the file do the same in the other direction. You don't use the DISH program to to it, you use any generic file manager app. You can't put movies from many sites on the SD card directly but I copy them to the SD card to be transferred back when I want to watch it. It's could be as easy as just moving the folder.

The file doesn't transfer to the device as a seperate file(I don't beleive), it transfers as a product of DA and is only accessible in DA

I bet there are files in a folder it may take a little detective work or it could be an obvious folder. Very easy to find download a program and search with a file explorer for the most recent file as just one way.

I was trying to find a place on the Iphone where I could find downloaded files. I couldnt find anything, but I did notice as I download more to DA, the DA file does get larger. There is no C/P option from there.

I hadn't considered an Iphone, when I think Smartphone I think Android. I confess I have no knowledge of what you can do with an Iphone concerning this but I didn't think Iphones even had an SD card so finding the file wouldn't be too much of an advantage.
I have little doubt on an Android phone they can be moved to the SD card as described.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)