DVR pushed back

dziko

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
I spoke to a CSR and she told me that they pushed it back until Dec or Jan. this sucks I was hoping that it would be out soon. :(

I would have to agree with this...based on the facts, of course. The software needed to support DVR and PPV was rolled-back after three weeks trying to correct its problems. It's almost 1 November and you can rest assured there are still a number of significant software problems needing to be resolved prior to the introduction of the DVR. Of course, this assumes the DVR is in production and no significant hardware anomalies have been discovered. I still say mid-January, but who knows?

I spoke to a manager today, about some other things that I am working out with Voom. He infomred me that they will try and get the software fixed with in the next month or two. It may be out in Jan or Feb. I am so tired of waiting. I may by Tivo, or I will make my owen like Myth TV it can do HD or Sage TV it can not do HD and they will control the Voom box. :eek:

dziko said:
I spoke to a CSR and she told me that they pushed it back until Dec or Jan. this sucks I was hoping that it would be out soon. :(

If you've ever worked in a computer programming environment, you know that its next to impossible to give definate dates as to when problems can be found and fixed.

December or January basically sounds like they don't really know. They will get it, just not as soon as we'd like to have it. That being said, I'd rather wait and get one that works mostly right than to swap out boxes a couple of times and go through endless months of problematic software.

;)

JimP said:
If you've ever worked in a computer programming environment, you know that its next to impossible to give definate dates as to when problems can be found and fixed.

December or January basically sounds like they don't really know. They will get it, just not as soon as we'd like to have it. That being said, I'd rather wait and get one that works mostly right than to swap out boxes a couple of times and go through endless months of problematic software.

;)
Very True...but this is the problem with a JAN release date....all of us grandfathered in prices go up. Without a DVR , without any new HD CH's, without any PPV , how will they intice people to stick around? I really think they have to roll out the DVR before they increase prices. They dont need to give their most valued and truted subs a reason to jump ship.

Yet, they still have more HD than anybody else.

Should they loose that advantage by taking too long to bring out a DVR, there really won't be must reason to stay with them.

Unless its a foregone conclusion that they're being absorbed by another provider, I'd double my efforts to bring out the PVR sooner, rather than later. Its reasonable to believe that the same people that would prefer HD (geeks and semi geeks) would also want the PVR.

Why do you assume that any software to support DVR will be included in releases for the current hardware? Are the current boxes field upgradable for a HDD?

joemama said:
Why do you assume that any software to support DVR will be included in releases for the current hardware?
At minimum, changes have to be made to the EPG and Middleware to support upcoming PPV and DVR features.
Are the current boxes field upgradable for a HDD?
I asked that questions a few weeks and received very little feedback. The consensus is Yes, these boxes could be turned into a DVR, but I doubt that will happen since the hardware may be outdated and, more likely, the install techs (same lame Installs Inc. installers) won't be capable of performing the upgrade.

I am assuming the new DVR will be a Motorola DSR-580 or DVR-580. If so, the chassis will probably be identical to the current VOOM STB (DSR-550). Customers ordering the DVR will have the STBs returned to VOOM/Motorola for factory refurbishing and reissue to new subscribers. Of course, this is just my opinion.

yeah, I can totally envision your super-competent Voom installer coming out to put a HDD into the STB :)

It sounds like you are viewing this in the same lines as a PC system where the software has to support multiple platforms and any number of unknown components plugged in to it and has a much more memory than your standard STB. In an embedded system such as this, your available code size is limited plus you know exactly what you need to talk to. If the box isn't field upgradable and a totally new box will come out to support DVR, it doesn't make sense to add software (and new bugs) to a box that would never use these additions.

>>>If you've ever worked in a computer programming environment, you know that its next to impossible to give definate dates as to when problems can be found and fixed.

As a computer programmer who works in a TEAM of programmers, I can ditto that statement. The product we are working on today was supposed to be released 6 weeks ago. When you have a program that consists of hundreds of thousands of lines of code and a host of beta testers, it is damn near impossible to find every single little issue. You only hope to find the ones that interfere with the masses. I don't recall off hand, but how long did it take for Directv to get all their issues resolved before and after their very first release? A longer than most know I'm sure..

kemguy said:
>>>If you've ever worked in a computer programming environment, you know that its next to impossible to give definate dates as to when problems can be found and fixed.

As a computer programmer who works in a TEAM of programmers, I can ditto that statement. The product we are working on today was supposed to be released 6 weeks ago. When you have a program that consists of hundreds of thousands of lines of code and a host of beta testers, it is damn near impossible to find every single little issue. You only hope to find the ones that interfere with the masses.
I work in tech support, so I field the technical problems, and deal with both developers and testers on a daily basis myself. With new software releases, not only do you have to test every little tiny aspect of the new features that are being added, you have to make sure that nothing that is currently functioning properly gets broken. It is very common for existing features to get 'broken' with a new release, even though they weren't supposed to change. Depending on the software release, this regression testing can be just as thorough. as the testing of the new features.

I can only imagine the testing on these kinds of systems. And of course, when you're talking about software that is going to be used by the masses, there's going to be something that no one thinks to test. Some scenario that you would never think would take place, but it WILL! :yes

I don't envy developers and testers of software that is used so widely. Some silly little mistake or oversight can affect millions of users.

While I vouch for the painful development and testing process, of course I still want my DVR tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Hey, if someone wants my two boxes for $35 they can have them ;). I keep them with the sole hope that Voom will loosen up and let people do self installs. Then maybe they'll be worth something. I've often wondered if someone who owns the boxes right now tried to get another one activated would have success. I bet you could pull it off.

I'm giving VOOM until March, 2005. I think they have put all their chips into UCentric. I wonder why they didn't just use the Tivo HD PVR and just plugged and chugged!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)