DVR question

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
I don't own one but I was wondering once you record something how long does it sit on the drive? Can you record it off to a standalone DVD recorder since these DVR have no burners? The HD content I guess would be 480 on the standalone.

Until you erase it, or you fill up the DVR and the next recording erases the oldest, lowest priority recording. This applies to recordings off regular channels.

Yes, via analog cables.

Yes.

I love my DVRs. I have 3 of them: 508, 721, ViP622.

Unless, of course your hard drive becomes corrupt. It's happened to me a few times already on my 508.

It stays there:

1. until you delete it
2. until new recording overwrites it (unless protected)
3. until your internal HD gets corrupted
4. until you move it to external source (PocketDISH) or once eventually E* get us option to upload recordings to other type of external HDs and then you remove it

I had 45mins of HD left on my 622 but a bunch of episodes of things have vanished... does it delete based on its schedule to record? or simply overwrite as needed?

Mine seems to delete randomly.

I guess I will hold off on the DVR technology that Dish offers till like two generations come out then revisit them then. I'm not really enticed to getting HD unless someone here in the forum says there is decent Content for HD on Dish.
I hope my 2001 Dish Pro 301 holds out till then.

There have been multiple DVR generations from Dish.

The ViP622 is probably the best HD DVR of any kind available.

There is decent content for HD on Dish. I like the travelogues on Equator, Offbeat America, National Geographic HD, various programs on Food HD, and I could go on.

You're missing out.

I guess I will hold off on the DVR technology that Dish offers till like two generations come out then revisit them then. I'm not really enticed to getting HD unless someone here in the forum says there is decent Content for HD on Dish.

The 1st generation from Dish was a long time ago, with the 501. I used that successfully for many years, but switched to using 2 522s (in spite of the added fees) because of the greatly increased storage space. I would never willingly do without the DVR feature. :)

Brad

You are missing out

Not having a DVR is like watching B&W on a 12 in screen. You can do it, but WHY.

Time shift and skipping commercials alone! I'm never going back

You really don't know what you are missing

The 1st generation from Dish was a long time ago, with the 501.

1st gen was way before the 501, I believe it was the dishplayer 7100

Not having a DVR is like watching B&W on a 12 in screen. You can do it, but WHY.

Exactly:up

I couldn't live without my DVR 625, for the same reason jkohnman said.
For me till everything is HD I'll live with my 625 and OTA for HD locals.
I have a 37inch LCD TV and my pq looks great, so I'm verry happy.
Good luck.

I don't own one but I was wondering once you record something how long does it sit on the drive? Can you record it off to a standalone DVD recorder since these DVR have no burners? The HD content I guess would be 480 on the standalone.
Recording will remain as long as you have space. There are simple methods to dump to DVD. I do not know about recording off the HD because I'll not even look until the format war is resolved.

Mine seems to delete randomly.
I am pretty sure it deletes the oldest shows first.

There have been multiple DVR generations from Dish.

The ViP622 is probably the best HD DVR of any kind available.

There is decent content for HD on Dish. I like the travelogues on Equator, Offbeat America, National Geographic HD, various programs on Food HD, and I could go on.

You're missing out.
The early generations were pretty ugly too, but the 622 is maturing. However, I disagree that it is "probably the best HD DVR of any kind available" based soley on the fact that both TiVo has at least 10 times the number of recorders out there (if not 20x) and Replay 3 times as many. I used all three brands and the TiVo was my favorite, but the 622 is a great box!

They aren't HD. The Tivo HD isn't a speed demon. And it's something like $12/month for a Tivo.

We all have our opinions, but I stand by my statement. I believe the ViP622 is the finest DVR out there.

1st gen was way before the 501, I believe it was the dishplayer 7100

That is true. I would consider the 501 my first generation, and it was Dish's first solo attempt, but the 7100 was around before hand. I don't know how I would have lived with its VERY limited storage space. I can barely live with my 522s these days. :)

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts