DVR Recordings and Sub Cancellation

If one cancels Dish Network programming what happens to the DVR recordings on the receiver?
Seeing most receivers are leased you will need to record them on a DVD or a VCR because the receivers have to be returned to DISH under the terms of the lease.

i think that i still has to be connected to the satellite dish to get a signal to watch them even if you have canceled

but i cant say for sure but i think that it does
correct me if i am wrong anyone

Last edited:
i think that i still has to be connected to the satellite dish to get a signal to watch them even if you have canceled

but i cant say for sure but i think that it does
correct me if i am wrong anyone

well because of a billing error our service got shut off, i could not see the previously recoded events. this on a 522 other models may vary.

Not sure if dish changed it, but when I moved and was waiting for a tech to install the service, I could still view my recorded shows. I just cancelled the signal search.

If one cancels Dish Network programming what happens to the DVR recordings on the receiver?
Mine were still on the DVR but I couldn't access it one time when the receiver was accidently unauthorized by Dish Network. :eek:

DVR program content is your property

If you own the DVR (as I do) or lease it, anything that's recorded is you personal property. Dish Network has no legal right to block you from viewing your own recordings. If you decide to return the receiver, you can copy the content to a VCR (still around?) or DVD.

This is similar to software trial periods. You can try software for a lenght of time and if you don't "unlock" it you can't use it anymore, but the data that you created with it is your property.

If you own the DVR (as I do) or lease it, anything that's recorded is you personal property. Dish Network has no legal right to block you from viewing your own recordings. If you decide to return the receiver, you can copy the content to a VCR (still around?) or DVD.
Google "Digital Millennium Copyright Act" and "Fair Use Doctrine"

As a Dish customer you pay to view content. It never "belongs" to you.
This is similar to software trial periods. You can try software for a lenght of time and if you don't "unlock" it you can't use it anymore, but the data that you created with it is your property.
Key phrase: "you created". The stuff on your DVR was created by others.

501, 508, 510 only

The reason for the different answers may be due to a change Dish has made in the last few years.

I buddy bought a used 508 several years ago.
Before putting it on his account, was able to watch all the shows previously recorded on it.
That sort of proved that it was in good working order.
Whether he had to (or should not) hook it to the dish, I don't recall.
That was then, and this is now, so it's quite possible that both yes and no answers are/were correct.

With DVD recorders on sale earlier this year for $50, just use common sense.
...or that old VHS tape recorder collecting dust in the garage. :eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)