DVR storage capacity?

sam999

Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
midwest - U.S.A.
Just got a DVR from Dish. Does anyone know the storage capacity of the VIP 722k DVR? How many hours will it record? Is there any way of checking this on-screen?

Samantha

55 hours of OTA HD, or (often) about twice that recording sat HD. 500GB disk IIRC, though it's just about infinite with use of your own EHDs.

iwannarock1 said:
Whoever installed this didn't point this out to you? Really? No seriously, really?

You are serious? Everything I know about my 722 I learned here or read in the manual.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

sam999 said:
Just got a DVR from Dish. Does anyone know the storage capacity of the VIP 722k DVR? How many hours will it record? Is there any way of checking this on-screen?

Samantha

Bottom line is it will depend on how much hd vs sd and ota (if you have that capability) you do.
If you are recording for time shifting and will delete after watching you are probably ok. Again depends on your family needs.
You can purchase a external hard drive, make sure it has its own power source, and plug it in to one of the usb ports on your dvr. You can't record to it but you can transfer recordings to it and watch re cordings from it. This is handy if you want to save recordings long term. I believe the max size that will work is 2 T; shop around you should be able to get one for around $100, maybe less.
The other thing that you weren't told is about half of the HD in the dvr is reserved for use by the dvr, pausing live tv etc.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts