DVR Viewing throughout entire home?

Enough already! :D

OK, so you can't share WHAT you know, but WHEN might we expect to know what you know? :)

Just read around... I am leaving clues...

Lets just say the Sling "Flash" announcement has a lot to do with the future of Dish Networks set top boxes (or perhaps lack of them) ;)

E is moving to programming distrubuited over the net. think sky angel

I think the dish parts profits are being pumped up by fees, to help boost the final sales price

E is moving to programming distrubuited over the net. think sky angel

You may be right about programming distributed over the net or you may be wrong, I don't know. I interpret most of this discussion as being able to view programming that has been distributed by satellite to your home receiver and then made available to other TVs in your home using your home network.

Listen to the latest podcast. Scott gives a good explanation.

I am feeding my two SD TVs with the coax, but I am feeding one HDTV via component and two others via long HDMI runs (monoprice.com has cheap cables/splitters BTW). I have an IR distribution system so I can control either TV1 or TV2 (with the IR-to-RF converter) via IR from any room with television.

Can you explain more how you are setup for your whole house DVR?

How is your IR distribution system setup?

Do you have a diagram of your setup and the pieces used to connect it all together?

Remember the service that one of the satellite companies wanted to start at 105 and failed? Weren't they going to do it by IP? I noticed an XstreamHD satellite dish from the CES pictures. It looks like an FSS lnb.

Perhaps dish plans on using the new digital tuners in the tv's to distribute television service.

I wonder if this new service that Dish may offer may have any combination with the 700 mhz spectrum they bought.

Remember the service that one of the satellite companies wanted to start at 105 and failed? Weren't they going to do it by IP? I noticed an XstreamHD satellite dish from the CES pictures. It looks like an FSS lnb.

Perhaps dish plans on using the new digital tuners in the tv's to distribute television service.

I wonder if this new service that Dish may offer may have any combination with the 700 mhz spectrum they bought.

Whatever it is can we expect to see it in the wild before xmas 2011 or is this just more vaporware?

Just look at the CES product announcements from Sling and think about how a Sling Receiver 300 and a Slingbox 700U or a VIP 922 would get HD DVR content to any TV in your home in HD.

from Slings CES Press releases:

About the Slingbox 700U
The Slingbox 700U is the fastest way of adding award-winning Slingbox capabilities to an existing Internet-connected set-top-box with a USB port such as the EchoStar 722K. Using a simple connection, an existing HD set-top box can be quickly SlingLoaded™, giving viewers the ability to watch HDTV via the web-based SlingPlayer anywhere in the world on a PC, Macintosh or smart mobile device.

About the Sling Receiver 300
The Sling Receiver 300 is a companion to a SlingLoaded™ set-top box such as the EchoStar SlingLoaded 922 HD DVR that can deliver an HD DVR's full HD video stream to any other television in the home using a home network, eliminating the need to run cables or purchase a second HD DVR.

Can you explain more how you are setup for your whole house DVR?

How is your IR distribution system setup?

Do you have a diagram of your setup and the pieces used to connect it all together?
With my setup, I still only have one HD output (TV1) and one SD output (TV2). So we cannot be watching two different things in HD at the same time, but that limitation works for my family. The TV1 output is connected to one HDTV via component and two other HDTVs via HDMI (using the cables and splitter/switcher listed below) so it can drive up to three HD televisions. TV2 is connected to all five televisions in my house (3 HD and 2 SD) via coax. Most of the time our family is watching the same programming, but when we aren't one person is usually watching one of the SD teleivisions or can live with an SD signal on one of the HDTVs.

The IR distribution system I have is customer built, but there are consumer product options from companies like Xantech and Buffalo. I have an IR "eye" in each room with a TV that relays the IR commands to an IR blaster near the 722. My setup is a wired setup, but there are wireless options too.

Here is a link the monprice's HDMI cables:
HDMI Cable

And one to a splitter you could use (I have the second one):
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

I know more then I can say at this point... but the answer is yes and the neat thing is on many of the newer TV's you won't even need a receiver on the extra TV's.

STAY TUNED!

The key words are "newer TVs".

Although for "older TVs" one can add a Sling 300 box I think.

The question is when? DirecTV already tested the MRV for a long time it is close to public release, they also have publicly released software download for playing back recordings on wireless laptops going for awhile.

Just read around... I am leaving clues...

Lets just say the Sling "Flash" announcement has a lot to do with the future of Dish Networks set top boxes (or perhaps lack of them) ;)

So by jacking up the equipment fees they want customers to move to the Sling Receiver 300.

In the press release they mentioned the 922 but will this feature be available to 722k, 622, 722 receivers? If not, then customers will need to upgrade to a 922 receiver and I still haven't included the cost of the Sling Receiver 300.

So by jacking up the equipment fees they want customers to move to the Sling Receiver 300.

In the press release they mentioned the 922 but will this feature be available to 722k, 622, 722 receivers? If not, then customers will need to upgrade to a 922 receiver and I still haven't included the cost of the Sling Receiver 300.
Should work with the 700u units as well at least it will in the future. :)

If we take what Scott has said, in the best case scenario, a single 922 can have up to 4 tuners (two of them must be OTA), three independent outputs for playback of HD recordings, or two independent HD outputs for live TV, with the help of several Sling 300s. Then the $10 DVR fee seems reasonable.

Or if you need more, have two 922s, up to 8 tuners (4 of them must be OTA), 6 independent HD outputs, or 4 independent live HD viewing at the same time with a few more Sling 300s, at a $27 DVR fee, especially if the two 922s can see each other and share the recordings. Still not a bad deal.

Of course I am speaking of the best case scenario, and we don't even know when.

With my setup, I still only have one HD output (TV1) and one SD output (TV2). So we cannot be watching two different things in HD at the same time, but that limitation works for my family. The TV1 output is connected to one HDTV via component and two other HDTVs via HDMI (using the cables and splitter/switcher listed below) so it can drive up to three HD televisions. TV2 is connected to all five televisions in my house (3 HD and 2 SD) via coax. Most of the time our family is watching the same programming, but when we aren't one person is usually watching one of the SD teleivisions or can live with an SD signal on one of the HDTVs.

The IR distribution system I have is customer built, but there are consumer product options from companies like Xantech and Buffalo. I have an IR "eye" in each room with a TV that relays the IR commands to an IR blaster near the 722. My setup is a wired setup, but there are wireless options too.

Here is a link the monprice's HDMI cables:
HDMI Cable

And one to a splitter you could use (I have the second one):

Quick question about a similar setup. I was curious instead of doing the IR setup could I just get 4 UHF remotes(one for each TV)Would there be any problem having 4 remotes working 1 bo:mad:722)? Thanks

Quick question about a similar setup. I was curious instead of doing the IR setup could I just get 4 UHF remotes(one for each TV)Would there be any problem having 4 remotes working 1 bo:mad:722)? Thanks
I'll have to defer to others who have experience with DISH's UHF remotes. I'm not sure if it is even possible to control TV1 (in dual mode of course) via UHF.

I would have to look it up in the manual as it has been a while since I did it. You either have to have a green uhf 1 key for the bottom of the uhf remote or remove the blue uhf 2 key and leave it out and move the little switch in side that it covers. Dont put the blue key back in or it will move the switch again. I have 3 tv 2 uhf remotes and 2 tv 1 uhf and 1 ir tv 1 remote running the 722 at our lake house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)