DVR won't dial out

andrewdoe

Oct 17, 2004
I searched through old threads but couldn't find the answer.

I have RCA wireless jack and I can dial out using a phone. In my manual it says the unit will support up to 14.4kb eventhough it is NOT the phonejack/modem unit. ALso I use digital phone through my cable modem.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Wireless jacks are very susceptible to line noise and interference. Telephones do not care and some top quality modems will correct for the noise, but low end modems will not. They will just give up, or not even try to dial thinking there is no dial tone.

A great test is to go spend about $5 - $10 on a 100' telephone cord and run it from a main jack to the DVR and see if it will dial out. If it does, it is almost surely line noise. If not, you may have a bad modem in your unit.

If your unit has a high speed ethernet port you can use that connection by adding it into your ISP via your home network.

lsh1885

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 6, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Wireless modem needed

I have a Directv Tivo. My experience is you need a wireless modem jack as I do. The same can be said for receivers that are caller ID capable. The Tivo and caller ID will not work with a standard wireless phone jack. I am no expert, this is just what I have learned from experience.

jginsburg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Supporting Founder
Oct 19, 2004
PA
I have the same problem. I just got my 522 hooked up. I'm also using the RCA wireless. Diagnostics says the phone is connected. Dialing out fails. I have DSL. Verizon's DSL filter is connected to original jack with telephone line going to RCA base. My telephone that is connected to the RCA base works, but not the receiver. I read somewhere else that 2wire filters were better. Any other ideas?

h0m3rs1mps0n

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 20, 2004
Firstly don't get 100' of cable. Anything over 25' of telephone cable has serious degradation of signal and its very possible. Working with DSL and analog modems over the last 7 years, I can tell you that its a bad idea to go over 25'.

Wireless jacks are a PITA. They do not work very well with modem connections but just fine with phones. As others here have stated, the phones do not care so much about line noise - you may get some static and no big deal.

But that static on a modem interferes with the datastream and a stable handshake cannot be held.

Definitely get a wireless modem jack if you need to go wireless as the phone one is more than likely not going to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts