DVR510, caller id & the phone company... HELP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rae

Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
We have 2 DVR510 receivers. About a week ago our on screen caller id's quit working on both units. We have 2 phone lines. One for personal calls and one for computer. When we hook the 2 dvrs up to our second line the caller id display on the tv's work fine. Telephone caller id's on line 1 work but not on the dvrs. The phone company is blameing it on the receivers but they work on line 2! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be.

We had dsl installed 2 weeks ago. They originally installed it on line 1 and I had it switched over to line 2. That is when the caller id's quit working. Could this be some type of a grounding problem?? Any help is greatly appreciated. I hope this make sense. I'm a little mad right now!

The sensitivity of devices vary, so it is possible that the DVR will not detect the caller ID signal, while other devices might, so I suspect this is where the telephone company is standing their ground.

It could be a grounding issue, especially when teleco probably had to go to a junction box somewhere in the vicinity of your home to switch the DSL signal from one line to the other.

It is a little hard to figure out what you did, but I think you are saying...

(1) Originally Line 1 had 2 510's, telephones, and caller ID boxes connected to it and everything worked fine. (Or did you have a different setup?)

(2) Originally Line 2 had a computer and analog modem connected to it.

(3) Then you had DSL connected to Line 1 and everything worked fine except for the Caller ID on the 2 510's.

(4) Then you had DSL switch from Line 1 and Line 2, and everything worked fine except for the Caller ID on the 2 510's. However, it does work if you switch the 2 510's over to Line 2.

If (3) is a true statement, then I suspect the following:
- (a) The phone company conditioned the line to work with DSL, and in doing so your 2 510's will no longer detect the caller ID signal. Probably not, but maybe they can undo what they did.
- (b) They should have added filters between each 510 and the telephone jack when DSL was added to Line 1. Now that Line 1 is no longer DSL, you can remove the DSL filters, and hopefully this will solve your problems.

One other thing to try is to remove all devices from Line 1 except the the 2 510's and see if they will detect the Caller ID. You may also want to try using just one 510. Too many devices on a single line may cause some not to work properly.

Good luck.

First of all, thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. Let me see if I can make this a little clearer. I had just got off the phone with the phone company and was upset. They are suppose to send someone out this afternoon. That was I can show them what is going on as I know trying to explain can be confusing.

1. True
2. True
3. False-When DSL was hooked up on line one everything including the 510's worked.
4. True

Filters were installed along with the DSL. The problems started when they switched DSL from line 1 over to line 2. We have tried with and without filters on line 1 with no luck. We have also unhooked all over devices from line 1 and no luck there either. We have ran a phone cord directly from the phone box outside of our house and plugged it directly into the phone jack on the back of the dvrs bypassing everything. Line 1 no called id on dvrs.. Line 2 called id works perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts