DVRs that Work With Unsupported MRV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yawn9

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Hello,

I've been doing the MRV thing for quite a while on my wired Ethernet network with no DECA. Sadly, my HR21 seems to have bit the dust and will no longer receive a signal from my SWM. I've verified that the problem is isolated to the receiver.

I plan on calling DirecTV to get them to swap my receiver tomorrow (hopefully they don't try to extend my contract..), but I don't want to buy a DECA setup. Will any HR model with an Ethernet port work with Ethernet MRV? I vaguely remember seeing a thread a while back saying some of them wouldn't.

Yes, I'm using 3 HR20s and 2 HR21s with 1 H23 receiver and MRV works with them all. There was some confusion about the HR20s with Deca at first but not with home networks. Any HR that you get will be fine.

All the HR series will work. The HR24 has Deca built in, but if you use the ethernet port, Deca is disabled, so it will work fine for you.

By unsupported, do you mean you can enable MRV w/out paying the $3/month MRV subscription? Is this only possible with ethernet available at each receiver?

Unsupported mode is using you Local Area Network (LAN) via ethernet (cat5e). This what was used when MRV was in beta testing. I used it without problem with my HR20 and HR23. When the beta test ended and DirecTV started the DECA rollout you had to almost beg to continue to use your network. But, you still had to pay the $3 fee. I recently replaced my HR20 (it died) with an HR24 and had no problem getting MRV to work over my network. I will say that the CSR I talked with when activating the HR24 was uninformed about the unsupported MRV (Whole House DVR) option.

Can you mix MRV types? For example, can you connect some receivers via ethernet and some receivers via the DECA and get full MRV capabilities at all receivers?

It might be possible, but you'd have to be very careful on how everything is connected. This could also be dependent on which receivers are being used. For example, since the H/HR24 receivers have DECA built in you shouldn't use ethernet on them.

The question I have, is why would you want to o this?

My parents have a big enough residence that instead of having coax running all over the place, they have two separate satellite setups with separate dishes. They are getting ready to go to directv and was wondering if I would be able to bridge the separate ends of the estate with a wireless network and get MRV throughout the estate. They also have separate internet services. One end has a business class connection and the other has a residential service.

If nothing else, could the two different setups connect to two different internet services and still get all the internet features but not the MRV in both areas? Would DirecTV's system balk at the receivers from one account communicating to D* via two different IP's that show up as being from two different locations?

It doesn't have to be specifically CAT5e; any will work and in fact I prefer CAT6a through my gigabit network for higher throughput. "Unsupported MRV" is very easy to get and there is a how-to with explanation of the proper verbiage to use. I was able to do it via their online web form.

Do you have to be on a swm setup for it to work unsupported?

My parents have a big enough residence that instead of having coax running all over the place, they have two separate satellite setups with separate dishes. They are getting ready to go to directv and was wondering if I would be able to bridge the separate ends of the estate with a wireless network and get MRV throughout the estate. They also have separate internet services. One end has a business class connection and the other has a residential service.

If nothing else, could the two different setups connect to two different internet services and still get all the internet features but not the MRV in both areas? Would DirecTV's system balk at the receivers from one account communicating to D* via two different IP's that show up as being from two different locations?

my question is why do they have 2 separate internet connections and satellites? it sounds to me like they have one home and one business account. if that is true , then bridging the two is illegal. If that is false, then a swim 16 hooked to one dish and the faster of the 2 internets would be my setup. i would also cancel the other internet service, since that is money wasted. if the residence is too big, you may have to get a little creative with the splitter configurations to avoid too much signal loss.

my question is why do they have 2 separate internet connections and satellites? it sounds to me like they have one home and one business account. if that is true , then bridging the two is illegal. If that is false, then a swim 16 hooked to one dish and the faster of the 2 internets would be my setup. i would also cancel the other internet service, since that is money wasted. if the residence is too big, you may have to get a little creative with the splitter configurations to avoid too much signal loss.

I guess I didn't make it clear. The house is REALLY big and there is also a guest house being considered to be added. There was nothing said about bridging internet connections. You confused the questions. The questions were 1) about bridging two separate DECA networks through a common LAN and 2) using internet features through two separate IPs. Those two questions have zero to do with the other.

There has to be at least 2 separate satellite dishes. That is not avoidable. E* had no problems with separate dishes but there was no MRV setup.

Okay, but you do still have to pay the $3/month for mrv to work, yes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts